new softball coach... i am i wrong ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
We have the "no-boyfriend" clause. Fellow TB coach was talking to some of us and he has a new problem. One of his players has a "girlfriend". How the heck do you handle that? What approach do you take? It's not fair to the other girls who can't have their boyfriends around. I had no answers for this guy.............anyone???

16U
well,IMO the same rules would apply,everbody wants equality right,if she is allowed to have her girlfriend there, then so the other girls can have thier boyfriends there.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
well,IMO the same rules would apply,everbody wants equality right,if she is allowed to have her girlfriend there, then so the other girls can have thier boyfriends there.

Here is the kicker, there is no sign around the girl's neck that comes right out and says "I like girls". But the coach says a blind man could "see" it. If he goes to the player and says something and he is wrong, boy that could be a mess!!

He feels like the player is almost "playing" the other girls and the no-boyfriend rule because of "her" personal choices and the awkwardness of the situation. And this is his best pitcher, someone he must have. Poor fella.

Like Quincy said " don't have to deal with this crap in 8U ".

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Who can say who is a boyfriend, girlfriend, family friend, cousin, etc.? This subject needs left alone, if possible. The girl's private life is no concern of anyones. If the girl is leaving the dugout or talking to him during the game, it should be handled just as if she is talking to friends or family. Once practice and games start, your focus needs to be 100% on what is going on in the game.

As far as a 15 yo dating a 19 yo, as a school teacher, I would have been required to report it to authorities, but as a rec coach, I couldn't have done anything, unless I did it on my own accord. If her parents are aware of the relationship, I would butt out.

Apr 7, 2012
florida
wow thanks for the replys...the boyfreind thing whole another story ...i just informed him to not come with her to pratice..i have several girls that have bf at games which not problem..just have talked to her and doesnt bother her ..her attiude i payed money i can do this how i want...and as far as winning more games that is not what this is about ..i will take a win or a lose just want them to have pride either way..i really love to watch them have fun..

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Who can say who is a boyfriend, girlfriend, family friend, cousin, etc.? This subject needs left alone, if possible. The girl's private life is no concern of anyones.

Amy I agree, but how can you enforce the no-male ( boyfriend ) at practice, which is usually easy and self explanatory, and then enforce this "type" of situation without making a big mistake or a big deal?

Her personal life is not his concern, but she must follow the rules like the other 11 girls too. I think she knows that she has him by the softball's, and that is not right or fair to the other girls who are following team rules.

Glad it's not me dealing, but I was hoping someone on here had some experience or advice to pass to this guy.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
ok quick story ..5 years as baseball coach..first year as softball coach.. over all really pleased 5 w 2 L . girls are so different...i have one girl that is a a really good player . but she just wants to talk about everything but softball . always is late or just want show up .i made the whole team run the feild before game . had the come back warm up and she went back to talking about crap again and not helping team warm up . i made them run again..this time i told them they ran again cause someone just wants to talk and not warm up. should i have pointed her out or leave it alone ? any ideas ...? thanks and i am learning ...

In coaching college ball these things come up often due to missed classes, drinking, etc. I only involve the whole team in the punishment as a last scenario. I deal with the individual first, second, third, and if that doesn't work, I let the team know why they are being punished and whose fault it is. Then their pressure on the girl might straighten her out. But it is a last resort, because it builds resentment toward you by what is perceived as unfairness.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Amy I agree, but how can you enforce the no-male ( boyfriend ) at practice, which is usually easy and self explanatory, and then enforce this "type" of situation without making a big mistake or a big deal?

Her personal life is not his concern, but she must follow the rules like the other 11 girls too. I think she knows that she has him by the softball's, and that is not right or fair to the other girls who are following team rules.

Glad it's not me dealing, but I was hoping someone on here had some experience or advice to pass to this guy.

No one should be at practice other then the players. if parents show up, then they have to sit quietly off to the side of on the bleachers, but no interaction with the players. It doesn't matter if they are boyfriend, girlfriend, sister, brother mommy or daddy. No bothering the team members during practice or games.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
During practice our players can have who ever they want there but they must not come to the dug out, call them to the fence or any form of distraction. They can cheer and what not but no direct line of talk. We make the veiwers sit under an oak tree along the right field line outside the fence, only shade for them our unless they go over into the woods.

Pin point the problem and work on the problem of the individual. Some folks are chatter boxes, I have one as a daughter (youngest one) and one as a player.

The website above is not a real site, just a quote, so do not look at it for a reference to solve your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 7, 2012
florida
ok again thanks for the replys... in the begin of the year i ask the girls if someone does something wrong , the team does something wrong . i asked them what they want to do to let them know that something is wrong . told them can be anything . push-up , jumping jack , whatever .. but i let them pick it. they came up with run to fence and back..this is a way they know someone done something but i dont point out who.. i let them fix it as a team..as far as my distraction girl ...i have no idea what happened last night 3 rbi and 5 infeild outs . and double play . and she was the voice that got girls moving...that was something...thanks ...

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
You can't control the speed of a game, but you can control the speed of practice. In practice we as a team have the rule that if a coach is talking then no one else is talking. In the games. No Parents of Friends at the dugout. No Cell phones. No food. (Sunflower seeds and things like that are OK, but you are not eating dinner) We were playing our first game in 10u a few years ago and one of the new parents brought a pizza and put it in the dugout while the girls were batting. I could not figure out why I was having trouble getting batters up to the plate until I saw the pizza. We had a parent coach meeting after the game. When doing drills keep them fast paced so they do not have time to talk. Before the game We keep them moving. Idle hands are idle minds

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors