new softball coach... i am i wrong ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2012
florida
ok quick story ..5 years as baseball coach..first year as softball coach.. over all really pleased 5 w 2 L . girls are so different...i have one girl that is a a really good player . but she just wants to talk about everything but softball . always is late or just want show up .i made the whole team run the feild before game . had the come back warm up and she went back to talking about crap again and not helping team warm up . i made them run again..this time i told them they ran again cause someone just wants to talk and not warm up. should i have pointed her out or leave it alone ? any ideas ...? thanks and i am learning ...

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
See what you are trying to do but I would address the problem girl more directly than looking to the group to try and enforce what you want. The talking is not the problem (no way around that!) its the lack of participation.

Oct 19, 2009
What is the age?

I have a 10yo on our travel team who is a constant chatter box. I can usually snap her out of one of her rants pretty easy though. Girls are incredibly social you know. I think if this kid was my dd I would wear hearing plugs around the house. Her dad tells me she's like a wolf - if you make eye contact she locks in and talks you to death. I can manage her without making the whole team run though. She's a real good athlete.

As a side note, I would strongly discourage running them as punishment before, during, or after a game. Especially before a game where you need them pumped up - not humiliated in front of the opponent.

Apr 7, 2012
florida
she is 15 and they run before game and after anyways . she is the one if conflict is started it is her starting it .. i have 12 players.. 10 have 4 yrs or more playing time , 2 are brand new .. i understand talking but her parent not much help...she has 19 yr old bf who i have had to ask leave pratice cause distracting. she just is the only trouble i have.. uggghhh thank you for your replys .. i am not thin skinned and any thing i can do for team i listen ...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And running the team is doing what for them? You are liable to lose the wrong player, with that approach. Is this Little League? If not, I would give her one chance to stop behing distracting and then, I would cut her from the team.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
And running the team is doing what for them? You are liable to lose the wrong player, with that approach. Is this Little League? If not, I would give her one chance to stop behind distracting and then, I would cut her from the team.
totally agree,I always wonder if one of her teammates can go to her and punch her in the mouth?I would hope that your answer would be "no!"Then making the whole team run because of her talking,is not go to change or stop her.That is the problem with today,if one person screws up everyone pays,but they cant do anything to stop the one person.By the way what is a 19yo doing with a 15 yo,sounds more like a parent problem!If I was you I would tell the 19yo boyfriend to take a hike or you will call the police and maybe they will look into there relationship.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
.By the way what is a 19yo doing with a 15 yo,sounds more like a parent problem!If I was you I would tell the 19yo boyfriend to take a hike or you will call the police and maybe they will look into there relationship.

We have the "no-boyfriend" clause. Fellow TB coach was talking to some of us and he has a new problem. One of his players has a "girlfriend". How the heck do you handle that? What approach do you take? It's not fair to the other girls who can't have their boyfriends around. I had no answers for this guy.............anyone???

16U

Apr 27, 2009
Tell the girl to be quiet or she is off the team (with warnings and interim steps, such as not playing). Why is this hard?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm with Amy and Screwby.

All long time coaches have been through this. There is only one solution. Tell her, "You will not play until you follow the rules. If you cause problems on the bench, I will cut you from the team." She'll probably quit, and then you and the team will have more fun.

You're a newbie, so you think winning a few more games is more important than creating an enjoyable experience for yourself and your team. You are wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors