New PC vs Old PC - too good to be true?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2012
California
After careful thought we finally weened off of our old PC. DD wasn't happy with old PC. There was 60-70% talking over actual pitching. We focused on spots and mechanics and if it wasn't perfect or if DD wasn't making the adjustments right away, we'd get the boot or not move on. 1/3rd of the time, we went home early because DD wasn't going to make any progress that day.

I wanted to stick it out with PC because I felt like she taught DD so much and I felt a sense of loyalty to PC. Plus, I personally liked her. But DD just didn't want to go back.

We found a PC online...who assessed DD and right away started working on her pitches. The lesson style was completely different. She didn't want to know about spots. She wanted to see more drive out of DDs legs and wanted to see actual pitches. When DD asked "do you want m to work on spots first?", new PC said, "work on spots at home with your parents. I want to see your pitches". She right away went into a drop (Old PC would hold the drop as a carrot. We couldn't practice or use in a game until he approved. And we wouldn't work on it until all of her warm-ups were perfect). Today was our second lesson and she didn't correct DD's mechanics. She said, "I think we're going to teach you a screw since your natural stance is there".

We left today and felt good. DD mentioned that she always felt bad about herself with old PC because nothing was ever perfect. She felt like old PC criticized DDs form and made her feel bad about herself. When DD played rec she'd say, "you're a rockstar on a rec team but girls on a TB team are so far ahead of you". When we started trying out for TB, PC made DD feel like she wasn't ready for it. New PC just seems to see DD as an individual and wants to build off of her natural mechanics.

I partly feel very excited for my DD. She's comfortable, she has something to work on when we get on the bucket at home, and she feels like this PC likes her. On the other-hand...everything that old PC drilled into our heads over the last couple of years...mechanics, mechanics, mechanics...is so polar opposite. If it's too good to be true, is it?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I don't think so. Sounds like the new PC is a better fit for your daughter.

There are a lot of elements that go into pitching, including enthusiasm. You can be mechanically perfect, but if you don't pitch with enthusiasm you'll never reach your potential. Enthusiasm is going at it hard, determined, with a purpose. Attacking the pitches.

Don't underestimate the importance of confidence. If the old PC was taking confidence away instead of building it up your daughter wasn't going to reach her potential either.

As a pitching coach I'm not as big on hitting spots as some. I will spot check it (no pun intended) from time to time, but it's not the focus of every lesson. But I'm going to assume if you hit your spots last week you should be able to hit them this week too. Mechanics do dictate location, so if your mechanics aren't sound you're going to have trouble with locations. But it shouldn't be that difficult.

I have an order I like to see pitches -- for example, after warming up the first pitch I'll look at is a changeup. If that's not there we will work on it before going to anything else because I believe the change is a must-have pitch. And I won't teach a new pitch until I feel the pitcher is pretty solid with the current ones. But I'm not looking for perfection each time. Just being close enough that you can work out the details yourself.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am betting that in the long run, the time spent with the old PC will be very good for your DD. You certainly can't knock having good mechanics.

I never send a girl home or chat away, though. If a girl is having a bad day, we hit balls.

Nov 29, 2009
When I start with a girl the first thing I work is mechanics without worrying where the ball goes. I want the girls to be comfortable with being able to work at 100% and trusting their body and mechanics. Once they've reached the point where they are consistent mechanically I see them get their control naturally without trying to force things. Then I work on bringing it all together. The key is to demand a good effort while keeping it positive. I find that trying to give almost as much positive feedback as negative helps a lot. I will tell them things like "This part of your delivery is good, but you're missing here and it's causing this to happen." Then I give them the correction and go from there. I find a player will work harder when they understand WHAT they are doing wrong and given the tool to correct the mistake in a positive manner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207