New LXT Plus noise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The bat barrel will not fly apart like shrapnel. Composite bats will show signs before any issues whether it
be shark toothing or even cracking. And even then, the bat will take a beating before breaking. Only time
the barrel will come disconnected in two and fly away is if the bat has been hit and hit and the crack or sharktooth
gets bigger and bigger and its continued to be used.
Composite is a weave, it will not just split in two on one swing and fly off.

Now I have seen a bat break at the handle without knowing it was doing so. But thats because its so thin
in that area that once its weakened, it can go with the amount of flex that happens between the handle and barrel.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
One more caution, do not run your hand up and down the barrel when looking for shark toothing or cracks. Look first :)

Composite is sharp as glass and will do a number on your hand

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Todd. I trust what your saying in that it won't explode like shrapnel, but in the given scenario, with the inner discs broken, and the outer wall being exceptionally thin. Isn't it plausible that the bat would flex well past it's limits and break?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Todd. I trust what your saying in that it won't explode like shrapnel, but in the given scenario, with the inner discs broken, and the outer wall being exceptionally thin. Isn't it plausible that the bat would flex well past it's limits and break?

Carbon-fiber type composite materials don't generally break catastrophically (complete and sudden) due to the fibers in the material holding together even after the resin has cracked.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Now I have seen a bat break at the handle without knowing it was doing so. But thats because its so thin
in that area that once its weakened, it can go with the amount of flex that happens between the handle and barrel.

Or a pitcher with a good screwball or inside fastball can saw it off!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA

The outer wall is not paper thin. When the discs are removed or broken, yes, walls will flex more and yes, will be illegal if tested more than likely. Its gonna shock you....haha...sarcastic, but there are ahole slowpitch guys that remove the discs to get that extra performance and the bats can last a very long time. It just depends on the bat.

But it will still show signs before breaking.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Carbon-fiber type composite materials don't generally break catastrophically (complete and sudden) due to the fibers in the material holding together even after the resin has cracked.

Bingo...composite are fibers woven together. There has to be a spot weakened/loosened/split for the bat to begin to come apart.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Or a pitcher with a good screwball or inside fastball can saw it off!

For example, when Worth first started doing Jeff Hall edition Mayhems (had more endload than usual), there were quite a few that snapped
right above the grip just because the bat couldn't handle the amount of stress that the added endload was giving on the handle when swung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd