new glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Any suggestions on a good glove for a 9 year old (will be 10 in February).

Let me share a recent experience. Bought a new Mizuno for DD last year. It was one of the $50 Finch gloves with the synthetic backing. Well, it was nice because it was Light, Soft, and broke in relatively quick. Well, to start the fall ball season this year, I had to get her a new glove as the Mizuno was falling apart. Not just laces, but the synthetic back was starting to tear where the laces go through. When we went for the replacement, the guy in the Sporting Good store showed her a Nokona. Initial thoughts were bad... looked and felt like a stiff board. A plus was the light weight, as DD is a pitcher. The guy in the SG store said he got one when he was in Junior High and played with it right through his college career. They're pretty pricey. Depending on the model you are looking at $180 - $300. If she's serious about the game, you want to get her something that she's going to be comfortable with that's going to last a LONG LONG time. Nothing worse than breaking in a new glove every year. 3 months into use and she LOVES it. It's still not 100% broken in, but it's close... you can tell just by the feel of it that it's going to last a long time. Unless your DD is "tiny" I'd look to get her in a 12 to 12.5...something she can use for a good many years.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Akadema Manufacturers of Baseball Gloves, Softball Gloves, Baseball Equipment is the only “good” glove DD has ever had so I cannot compare it to other ones but she is really happy with it.

Probably look for an 11.5/12” size.

You might want to wait a few weeks, the sales will start then and there should be some good deals.

Casedawg51 will set your DD with a Vinci if you want. He will answer all your questions/ concerns.

Agree here. My son and I have Akademas and my dd has a vinci pro. We like them all (after break in period of course).

Jul 1, 2010
DD pitches and plays 3B and I would recommend Nokona. I was buying 2 Mizunos (cheaper $50 type) a year for DD. She loved them because, as others have said, they are are a good glove and so easy to break in. The Nokona was a bear to break in and is heavier than most gloves, but it was love at first sight for her.

Over two and half years later, I've only had to replace part of the lacing. Next year she is most likely going to an organization that requires players to use a certain brand of equipment (not Nokona) and the grieving process has already begun.

Jun 21, 2010
Nokonas are expensive, but you get what you payed for. DD is going on year 3 with her Nokona Buckaroo. Not all Nokonas are made in USA, so if it's around $70 chances are it's an import. Not that imports are bad. Mizuno makes a great glove specific for softball. The Nokona my DD has is specific for softball. So, keep that in mind when shopping around. There are some great gloves out there.

Feb 7, 2013
Mizuno MVP Prime Series $60-$80; good glove, will last a couple of seasons. I personally would not buy a very expensive glove until her hands stop growing and she can use it for many years. But then again I have bought $300 bats for my pre-teen before, so....:)

May 12, 2013
She is a pitcher on a travel team. Has played travel and some recball for 3 years so she plays roughly50 to 60 games a year. She has a descent mizzuno glove now around 70 bucks, but its 2 years old and with Christmas coming up I figured I'd start looking. I'd like to get a good one that will last even when she moves to a12 inch ball. Hers is a11.5 now should I go to a12.5,I have a13 that she uses some times and does fine but a little big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24