Never give up!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
Once again let me post a update. My daughter started pitching rec league at 12. Never took a lesson till she was a old 12. Looked like she was bowling when she kicked her right leg. Wasn't very fast.....I was never the coach, so she didn't pitch but once in a while as a old 12. Once in a blue moon both years at 14u. Kept taking lessons, team got in a bind needed a number two her first year of 16u. Gave her the ball every other game , still slow. Team dumped her, found a team as a old 16u that gave her the ball every other game. Went up to 18u ....coach didn't want her, switched teams. Got a 18u team to give her no.2 spot. Tonite on a Jugs gun hit 56.7 as a high. Consistent 55-56 clocking! It's been painful, it's been aggravating, but we never gave up! She's got a really good stick! She may yet pitch in college!! I quit putting limits on HER!!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sticks,
I'm very interested in your daughter's progress. Without mentioning your PC's name, do you mind sharing some of the key changes she made in her success?

Thanks,
Ken

Nov 29, 2009
Once again let me post a update. My daughter started pitching rec league at 12. Never took a lesson till she was a old 12. Looked like she was bowling when she kicked her right leg. Wasn't very fast.....I was never the coach, so she didn't pitch but once in a while as a old 12. Once in a blue moon both years at 14u. Kept taking lessons, team got in a bind needed a number two her first year of 16u. Gave her the ball every other game , still slow. Team dumped her, found a team as a old 16u that gave her the ball every other game. Went up to 18u ....coach didn't want her, switched teams. Got a 18u team to give her no.2 spot. Tonite on a Jugs gun hit 56.7 as a high. Consistent 55-56 clocking! It's been painful, it's been aggravating, but we never gave up! She's got a really good stick! She may yet pitch in college!! I quit putting limits on HER!!

It sounds like your DD has to work hard for everything accomplishes in the circle. That is why I never tell a player they can't succeed, because of other kids just like her. I tell the parents so long as their DD has the desire I will do my best to teach them as best I can. You're a smart parent to realize her grit and determination.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Don't let her stop shooting for her dream. Most dreams can be reached with the right balance of work and effort.

I've said this before here, but I'll say it again. Up to recently, DD has been told she is small and doesn't fit the pitcher's mold. Flashback to her first year of pitching in 10U. She made All Stars in the rec league and the coach who was also the dominant pitcher's Dad told her immediately she was too small and too young to do anything but watch. She needed to have a seat and learn. Flash forward four years to current time. DD is still improving and pitching with very good success today in both travel and high school. His DD peaked that year of 10U and has moved to catching since she isn't pitching anymore.

It still sits in her mind and affects her even now. Although more as a motivation than anything else these days. Last week she pitched two shut out high school wins. Tomorrow's game could be another win or a disaster. Either way, she'll keep chasing the her dream of pitching in college.

Is she perfect? Not in any way.
Does she struggle sometimes? Yes, of course.
Is it a roller coaster ride? For us - yes it is.
Should she stop? No way!
If your DD shares the same passion, then she should keep on working and see what happens.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
There is definitely a different level of satisfaction watching your child do well when there have been coaches in the past who have made them feel like they would never do well. I don't know why coaches do that but I absolutely love to watch a girl turn that negativity into motivation, put in the work, and prove them wrong. Coach's loss!

Jun 13, 2012
I am a father of a pitcher, she is not the extremely athletic type and has to work 3 times harder for every success that she has. She has always been small, up till last year. 1st year 14u, she grew 12 inches, her speed went from 40mph to consistantly 52-55mph, she still is not very dominating although at times she does very well. She is definately NOT an A class fielder or hitter or runner but....she loves it and works EXTREMELY hard at it and I will ALWAYS support her. I LOVE watching her have some success. Who knows what she could become? But if she quit we would never find out. In the end its not about college scholarships, it is about a young girl spending weekends with friends doing something she loves, it is about the memories of having Daddy sit on the bucket catching for thousands of hours, The family time we spend together for 10 months during the season's. Because THIS season, the season of "when my daugther played softball" is THE HAPPIEST TIME IN MY LIFE and I wouldn't trade it for NOTHING!

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
Last week hit 58.2. Always been a really good hitter, but not fast. But working with ex D1 player for hitting.... getting her to hang back and to lean back a bit more....along with going to a 34. She's turning into a monster. NAIA coach local has spent all her scholarship money has offered her a guaranteed roster spot and a scholarship for the following year!!

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
He changed everything! �������� she had started bowing low in her wind up.....consequently her leap was going up not as much out! Used a 5 position sequence for her wind up....both hands going straight out, she had been a swimmer with the left hand for many years. Left hand straight out during wind up, rotate left hand Palm out....this forces the hips completely open! More to come!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1