Need input from pitching and coaching veterans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Have you tried asking for a 1 on 1 session, simply saying your daughter feels more comfortable that way? Depending on the reason the coach is doing this, he/she may be able to accommodate you. Maybe you can do a 1 on 1 less often as opposed to a group lesson every week? I imagine the coach might try to oblige unless the reason for moving to the group format was too many students to see individually.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Anyone that has knowledge and or experience, and is willing to share it with a younger person with less knowledge or experience is a 'Teacher" or 'Mentor'. Makes no difference if they take on the title of Coach or Instructor.

I will have to add that, in my life, The person in the dugout that sets up the line up, meets with the blues, makes the final decisions, etc, has never been called the ''Head instructor' of the team. Maybe just a NorCal thing.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
For those of you who don't understand the difference between a "Coach" and an "Instructor".........

Coach: when referring to getting coached by a professional coach, is a teaching, training or development process in which an individual gets support while learning to achieve a specific personal or professional result or goal. The individual receiving coaching may be referred to as the client or coachee, or they may be in an intern or apprenticeship relationship with the person coaching them. Occasionally the term coaching may be applied to an informal relationship between one individual who has greater experience and expertise than another and offers advice and guidance as the other goes through a learning process. This form of coaching is similar to mentoring.
The structures, models and methodologies of coaching are numerous, and may be designed to facilitate thinking or learning new behavior for personal growth or professional advancement. There are also forms of coaching that help the coachee improve a physical skill, like in a sport or performing art form. Some coaches use a style in which they ask questions and offer opportunities that will challenge the coachee to find answers from within him/herself. This facilitates the learner to discover answers and new ways of being based on their values, preferences and unique perspective.........

Instructor:A teacher, or professor, of a specialized subject that involves skill........

Jul 14, 2008
I notice you have not given a thanks for a useful post to anyone. Why is that?

When I started posting here, there was no "thank you" button. You simply typed "thank you" to the poster.........I prefer that method vs. "pressing a button"..........

Your I/R in the class room is very hard to comprehend. I guess I could be unwilling to want to or need to really understand I/R. I'll try to re read it, but I doubt I can. Maybe I should read Rick Pauly's I/R sticky first.

I think you should stick with your gut instinct that you have no reason to read or understand it..........You are not a PC........You are not an "instructor"............You are not teaching anyone to "PITCH"........Or throw a ball underhand with whip..........

I/R will not help you with "sitting on the couch"...........Or "typing on a keyboard".........

Only those who need it, "get it"..........By the THOUSANDS............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom