Need Catching Help Quick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2008
My daughters HS team lost there catchers to a couple of Fluke accidents and my daughter who had never really caught before except for some rec games a few years ago has been asked to try and step up and fill in for the next 4 weeks. She was asked because she is very versatile and athletic and has the mental makeup also. I am looking for any information that will help her prepare and do the best she can do. Thanks.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Look for the new england catching camp info. If you can get the DVD that would help tremendously, otherwise do some you tube searches on the basic stances and blocking etc that are out there by the NECC people. The NECC DVD is regarding as the catching bible here. I have it and it is very well done.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
First thing, order the instructional DVD from New England Catching Camp (The New England Catching Camp). The NECC information is the best package of information on how to teach proper catching techniques available. Most DFP'ers (myself included) consider it the "gold standard".

In the meantime, here's a few things to get your DD started in a better direction...

1. Protect your throwing hand!! While receiving a pitch, the catcher needs to keep the throwing hand in a position that keeps it out of the path of foul balls. Hands flying around unprotected lead to broken fingers.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...nt-say-enough-protect-your-throwing-hand.html

2. Learn to catch one-handed (this goes along with protecting the throwing hand). Young players learn to use their throwing hand to help secure a catch. For catchers, this is a habit that has to be broken. Also, freezing the location of the catch can go a long way to getting strikes called as strikes. The cue I use with young catchers is to "squeeze and freeze" every pitch.

3. Learn proper stances, and when to use them. I see catchers of all ages receiving while up on their toes, and some coaches even tell their catchers to receive this way. This is just wrong. Proper catching stances include a stable and athletic platform, which includes having the heels on the ground. Being on the toes, with the feet tucked under the body is unstable and limiting.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/18851-high-vs-low-catching-stance-question.html

There is a lot more in-depth information, but this should help get your DD started on a good path.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
#1, listen to Eric F

#2 check out the Advanced Catching Concepts website. Home review some of the video links that show before and after videos. They probably show a lot of what an untrained catcher with little to no training is trying to do v what they should be doing.

Jul 24, 2008
I ordered the NECC video and typed up all the notes and printed all of the pictures to go over with her.

NECC has about 5 other advances videos on their site under the online camp>evideos section. I have an email into them because it says they are currently updating something so they are not available.

Has anyone used these other 5 videos? Is this something to look at later if she decides she may want to continue learning this position?

Thanks for all of the advice. I was watching the Brewer/St Louis game last night and was watching the catchers more than anything.

Apr 8, 2014
DFW TEXAS
How about getting with the pitchers on her team, I'm sure they are practicing, get her to catch them during these times. The more she can get live action the better...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors