Need Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
It is not a big deal because they make hundreds of throws every practice correctly so a few dozen balls thrown during a drill may not have a big enough impact to be "negative training" but IMHO it just has no purpose.

I use this GAME occasionally at the end of practice. We call it Gladiators. It's used to promote competition on the team. The girls love it. It's not something that is done all the time as a drill. If you're not using it you're missing an opportunity to see who is really aggressive on the team. As the game is going on I'm continually goading the girls to try and make their teammate miss. Make their teammate a better player by throwing the ball hard and make the play difficult for them to handle. Be aggressive and get the ball. Those types of things.

FPT... Sluggers hit it on the head exactly. Once you let this parent think he has some kind of "power" you'll never put the toothpaste back in the tube. I'm sure his daughter likes the drill if you ask her. The rec ball daddy does not trust his daughter's ability. Hit him with that if he keeps up his nonsense and then tell him YOU as the coach trust her abilities as a player. That should shut him up.

Feb 20, 2012
pdx
my dd's coach last year did short hop drills using a machine set at 50mph . they were also on their knees , straight on ,forehands and backhands, opened and closed. they started slower but moved up to that speed. they learned quickly why they have a glove and had better use it. 14b level btw.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What level TB are you playing? What position does his DD play? Does this dad not think that short hops are a part of the game?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If that dad does not like your drill, he would really love one we use for 1B. We put two L-screens behind 1B spread apart to cover an area about one big step either side of the bag, and put one of our 1B on the bag. Then we hit grounds to the infielders at 3B and SS and they make throws to 1B. The 1B 'team' gets two points if they catch the ball and get the out and one point if they knock it down and keep the ball in front of them. The infielders get a point if they are able to hit the L-screens. They can throw the ball any way they want and wide short hops seem to be the most effective. It is a great drill for teaching your 1B to field bad throws!

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
What level TB are you playing? What position does his DD play? Does this dad not think that short hops are a part of the game?

We are 14C, but are preparing our girls for the jump to 14B, either by the end of this season or beginning of next season. She pitches, plays short and center. No idea what his thoughts on short hops are, just that he doesn't like the drill because "someones going to get hurt, and its not going to be my [his] daughter".

I find this really funny though because when we do the drill about 1/3 of the time his daughter is the last player standing. She is very aggressive to the ball, and plays the short hop well.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DDs team played this game last year at about 40 feet but they had to two hop them. They opted for two because the girls threw at the feet for one. Who says girls aren't vicious?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If I am reading this you are running this drill indoors, therefore the random bad hop has been eliminated from concern.

Here is my take,
1. What is a dad doing at an indoor practice for 14u team? At that age the dads should be dropping them off.
2. There are dozens of ways to run drill, there is no set 1 best way to run any particular drill. There is no bastardizing a drill
3. Did this guy coach his dd before? Does he feel slighted that you never asked him to help?
4. I would not stop running this drill, if he wants to remove his dd from the drill and make her stand out from the crowd that is his mistake.

Nov 23, 2012
I'm trying to think of a position in softball where a player won't have to take a short hops during games........
Hmmmm :confused:
How about telling Daddy Rec Ball we have the perfect postion for your DD she'll be starting at Left Out for every tournament game :cool:

Bottom line most rec ball families turn into great club ball families and some don't!!!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Sounds like an inferiority complex... his dd is new to tb and to be honest, shes probably your weakest link... he knows this and is trying to divert the negative attention his dd will possibly get once her lack of experience starts to show. Cut her loose asap... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Loud and mouthy parents are like cancer... nobody wants it and if you do have it, you'll do anything to get rid of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1