Need Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
I coach a 14U TB team. One of my parents pulled me aside last night and expressed concern about a drill/game we do at the end of practice. Before I continue on here is how the drill is set up.

You have two groups of girls set up approx 60-70ft apart. They line up side by side, but are spread out. A player from one line throws the ball so that it short hops infront or near a player in the other line. That player then has to field the ball on the short hop and throw it to a player in the other line on a short hop. If the ball is a line drive, takes more than one hop, or the player fails to keep the ball in front of her than she is out. The drill/game continues until one player remains. We do this game/drill to get the girls used to fielding the ball on the short hop.

Here's where the issue lies, the parent and his DD came to TB from Rec. They did a similar drill in Rec from a shorter distance with different rules. He feels like we are "bastardizing" the drill. He also feels like we are telling the girls to throw at each others ankles, which we are not. He actually walked out of our practice and went off because he felt his DD was going to get hurt. None of my other parents have ever said anything to myself or my assistants about this dirll/game. Most of the parents actually like it because they see that their player has gotten more aggressive playing the ball.

Opinions? How should I handle this? How would you handle this? One of my assistants said maybe we should consider doing it his way from Rec ball and seeing if we like it. I'm open to suggestions. I have thick skin, but I actually felt like I was being attacked. I have coached both TB and Rec for over 10 years now and have never once had a parent complain about any drills I have conducted, and I would never put a girl in a position where she would be hurt.

I never used the drill but I was AC for my DD fall ball team and they used this drill. I just do not understand why a parent would get so upset about a drill that teaches girls to play the ball on a short hop. I have to admit when I first saw the drill I did think about the negative aspect of telling girls not to throw the ball on a line but actually short hop their target, not usually a fan of negative training.

As far as the drill I could take it or leave it, you could adjust it so the girls are opposite coaches who throw the ball on a short hop that might improve it so there is no negative training, but as far as the girls possibly getting hurt that is ridiculous my guess is the balls are coming much faster off a bat when they are taking infield practice.

Now to the bigger question exactly what do you mean by "walked out of practice"? IF he took his DD out of the drill, pulled you off to the side and said I don't want her participating in that drill because I do not think it is safe can I talk to you after practice and DD will rejoin team after drill is over as a coach I would reply "no problem I'll stay after practice and we can talk". If he takes DD to parking lot then yells at you on the phone an hour later that is not acceptable.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK, it is your Team.

Why not try it their way and see if you like it? Sounds like in your head you think your way is better already which is OK, it is your team.

Let their DD sit out of the drill if they are not comfortable with it. Now all of a sudden their DD is being singled out which causes different issue, it is your team.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
Now to the bigger question exactly what do you mean by "walked out of practice"? IF he took his DD out of the drill, pulled you off to the side and said I don't want her participating in that drill because I do not think it is safe can I talk to you after practice and DD will rejoin team after drill is over as a coach I would reply "no problem I'll stay after practice and we can talk". If he takes DD to parking lot then yells at you on the phone an hour later that is not acceptable.

His DD was told "dont get hurt" and he walked out the door to the parking lot with an attitude. I went out to discuss it with him and got berated(sp?) by him about the drill. We did have one of the coaches earlier in the night throw the balls to the girls for the drill with them lined up and one at a time fielding the ball on the hop. He complained about that as well saying the coach was "throwing so hard that he would hurt a girl".

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If you give this guy an inch, he will take a mile.

How hard does he think the ball is going to come off of the bat?

This isn't about the drill, but it is about this guy's attitude.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
IDK, it is your Team.

Why not try it their way and see if you like it? Sounds like in your head you think your way is better already which is OK, it is your team.

Let their DD sit out of the drill if they are not comfortable with it. Now all of a sudden their DD is being singled out which causes different issue, it is your team.

I'm open to trying it his way, I'm all about finding new drills to use to keep things "fresh". But IMO the attitude was uncalled for, especially when she has been doing this drill for weeks and it became an issue last night....

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
If you give this guy an inch, he will take a mile.

How hard does he think the ball is going to come off of the bat?

This isn't about the drill, but it is about this guy's attitude.

The ball off the bat was my arguement, I really think this parent is having a hard time with the differences in the way things are done from Rec to TB.

I would make it really clear...if you ever have a safety concern you can always come to me and even pull your DD from that drill or activity.

Once we have talked about it, if you still feel it is unsafe and don't want her to participate in that drill I can pull her from that drill when we do it (as another poster said that won't last too long).

The big thing you have to look out for is this guys attitude hopefully you can work that side of it because you don't want this guy to become your problem parent all season. If you have a DD on the team let him know you are a concerned father also and would never do anything you thought was putting your DD at risk or anyone else on the team. Also let him know how his DD is doing, hopefully you can let him know how well she is doing and that she belongs in a competitive environment that rec can't offer.

P.S. is his DD skill level up to par, in rec I have actually not had girls in certain positions even though we were supposed to be rotating. Live game simulations with never played softball before girls at 1st and 3rd were big no-no's, this was 12U and I had a few girls that could have played on any 12U TB team they wanted too but choose not to because they were playing other select sports and did not have the time, it was IMO just not safe, especially the first month or two both with the better girls hitting or even just throwing the ball from SS or 3rd and expecting them to catch it. I actually turned my head for a couple minutes to talk to one of my AC and the other AC who was overseeing the drill rotated anyway and sure enough the girl playing first was not paying attention when the SS scooped it up and made a routine automatic throw to first and the girl gets hit in the thigh and can't practice anymore for the day

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Yeep. It does sound like this parent is going turbo on you out of fear of a new situation. DD's 14U team had a hitting contest - the coach measured exit velocity when hitting off of a tee. Half the team had exit velocities in the 60s. This is how hard 14U GIRLS hit. (didn't appreciate his chauvanistic comment about "hurting girls")

Don't give in - stick to what you believe in. The dad can buy his DD an infield mask if that's what he's really concerned about. It sounds, though, like he's freaking out in general. Hopefully he will mellow out as his daughter's skill level comes up to par with the rest of the team.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
When I have a parent act a fool, Ive found a quick Stone Cold "Stunner" can do wonders.

1242301_o.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298