Need a little advice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
Jacksonville
Long story

Last year was my little 6 year old's first year playing softball. My wife absolutely was against letting her play since
the day she was born but I had finely won the argument. So we took her out for rec ball and like all new comers she was a really, really weak player, but as the season progressed she got better, and better and by season end she actually earned a spot on the local all star team.

So All stars changed everything. The recs top three coaches came and placed the children day one in certain positions.
Most notably their kids in the in field and other kids in the outfield. But honestly I really could care these coaches earned it so not a big deal my girl made the all star team.

But after three solid weeks of 5 practices a week with the in field getting all the work and outfielders playing with flowers. After all they are 5 and 6 year old girls :). So eventually my wife lost her excitement and got bored and I don't blame her, so we signed the dotted line so we stuck with it and we kept our mouths shut I even helped out when needed.

So we went to district and did well until we played the last team, they where very good and coached very well. They where taught to play softball and not TBall. We watched girls throw outs from 3rd to first. Adjusting their hitters to attack weaknesses in our team. Long story short several of the coaches kids is where they went after.

So coming in second we still got to go compete at the next level. This where the rain storm hits, the head coach decided to change things up. She moved my little girl from RF to 3rd since she was a better fit for the position and another girl took SS from one of the other coaches daughters.

Now the girl my daughter replaced was really, really good but I admit my little girl is a better fit for the spot so the coach really took it personal and so did the other one when their daughters where moved to other positions.

So at the second day of the tournament we watched coaches argue on the field and scream, in front of the kids. It was unprofessional and awful and the kids actually heard the the coaches argue over who starts where. Some kids where crying.

So when we lost me and my wife ran for our daughters life, now when I say this understand other than one of the coaches I felt they where good people they where under stress and the screwed up it happens. But my wife now won't let me work with my daughter and is really pressuring me not to let my little girl play this year.

Any advice on how a parent can prevent these things from happening, because you never want to be the parent who argues with coaches but at the end of the day you want to ensure your kid enjoys Softball.

Right now I promised my wife no all stars or travel ball but my little girl went to tryouts for the season at the rec and did really, really well. I really think with some hard work again she will have another successful year on the field but not sure how to get her mother on board.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Step up and coach. There's also a good thread about daddy ball right now. There may be some good insight there.

Jun 24, 2013
Jacksonville
yeah, I know we got a good coach this year. Just worried about the other stuff because my little girl loves it and Mommy don't now.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Alex, don't go get all mad about this. This forum doesn't belong to anyone. However, if you want advice, then this is the best place to be.

Jun 24, 2013
Jacksonville
Not mad, just alarmed at and end story response. This was probably not a good place to ask.

I will stick to reading lots of good info here

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Why apologize? Why is your wife against letting her play softball in the first place? As with anything there are bad coaches, and there are good coaches. Can you tell right off the get go? Sometimes, but more often than not you cannot tell until games begin. Hopefully those coaches learned a lesson (but many times they wont because they want to believe they were correct). When I am an assistant coach my job is to make the HC job easier. Sometimes I disagree with the HC and those times we will discuss it after the game out of earshot of the kids. I make my case, and if the HC doesn't agree then that is the end of it.... He is the HC.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Alex, you have your feet already wet. You, me, most of us are going to "get the business" once in a while. (Give em the business from the olden days so, if you remember that statement, you are old.) It has been so long since my dd was 6 that I don't know if I could give you any good advice or not. It is a process and somehow families seem to adjust. This is especially true when it becomes apparent that your dd loves playing. So, don't rush anything. Mom will eventually fall in line.

Jun 24, 2013
Jacksonville
Yeah I admit my oldest child is 7 so while I might be old I am new to being a softball parent.

She has the bug though last year she wanted to practice everyday and now she is hounding me again. Its just her mother who I love just is terrified of her getting her feelings hurt again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves