NCAA Strike zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
No, the umpire doesn't wait for the catcher to frame the ball. The call is made more than half the time before the ball reaches the glove. Just because you don't hear or see it immediately doesn't mean they are waiting on anything

Well it's not happening in the games i'm watching "some",,,, Unless they just like to really see the catcher frame it regardless ,,"a habit"?, there was no way i ever relied on a catchers mitt to make the call, , believe it or not i had the pitch called before it hit the mitt.

I really don't understand even in MLB why they are waiting, this is a discussion that happens on the air waves or video as well.

Even as a batter, they should see where the ball was called, see it to the mitt

No catchers don't bother framing it for me

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Well it's not happening in the games i'm watching "some",,,, Unless they just like to really see the catcher frame it regardless ,,"a habit"?, there was no way i ever relied on a catchers mitt to make the call, , believe it or not i had the pitch called before it hit the mitt.

I really don't understand even in MLB why they are waiting, this is a discussion that happens on the air waves or video as well.

Even as a batter, they should see where the ball was called, see it to the mitt

No catchers don't bother framing it for me

Again, and again, and again.....the umpire is not waiting for anything, no matter what you think you see or hear from the Talking Heads.

Had the same discussion at an Olympic Team exhibition game in MD during the Road to Beijing tour. The umpire couldn't/shouldn't care less where the ball is caught, but where the ball passes through the strike zone. The umpire tells the batter and catcher almost immediately while down then rises to give the signal.

It is all a matter of timing that the umpire waits until the ball hits the glove before announcing the call that was already in his/her head prior to that point.

Now, baseball is a different story as many of them are taught to come erect before giving any indication of the call and to verbalize and signal simultaneously.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
They have the slowest arms in the world,,, but they all do it the same, my arm would hurt more than if i was pitching ,if i called a game that way They could eliminate a lot of controversy if they got in gear, regardless watching the WCWS there was no consistency any way except the way there motions are,,, the dart board was crazy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi