My catcher-beast...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks Bartow. It's hard to find someone in this thread that can appreciate everything that is going on in that clip. I know it doesn't fall within the NECC universe. Thankfully, you look beyond basic NECC techniques and respect it for what it is.

The bottom line is whether she is successful getting the job done! Like fishing in some ways - if a pole and a worm are catching fish from the bank, a fly rod or bass boat aren't required. But if the fish aren't eating drowned worms and are only biting in the middle of the lake, having a boat and knowing how to use a fly rod to delicately present a size 26 blue wing olive can save the day. As long as you catch fish, one method isn't necessarily better than the other.

Personally, while in large part my expectations have been met or exceeded by the quality of D3 umpiring I've seen, there have been a few cases where I've been severely underwhelmed. Based on what I've seen, any pitch pulled or actively framed is almost always called a ball. Regardless, a catcher needs to assess every umpire and figure out what they like to eat and how they like it served and, with that knowledge, pull the right tool out of their tackle box and use it to good effect.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Some action from Saturday's games...

We have some things to work on. Her blocking has gotten a little sloppy, and her throwing pattern is out of whack, too. We have also discussed her hand/mitt position for tag plays. She needs to keep the mitt turned in a way that her bare hand is not exposed to the cleats of the incoming runner.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Some action from Saturday's games...

We have some things to work on. Her blocking has gotten a little sloppy, and her throwing pattern is out of whack, too. We have also discussed her hand/mitt position for tag plays. She needs to keep the mitt turned in a way that her bare hand is not exposed to the cleats of the incoming runner.

Just a good reminder for your DD that there is a difference between practicing enough so you can get it right and practicing enough so you can't get it wrong!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06