My catcher-beast...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
Actually, I have said that we agree to disagree and if you like what works for you than great.

Yeah....like 2 pages of threads ago...:p

It's all good. I'm loving the dialogue. You're passionate about your position and so is Eric. The community are the benefactors. Keep it going.

Dec 19, 2012
In case you missed the memo, Lenski will not drop this until Eric agrees with him. It's been stated and restated that Eric respectfully disagrees with his approach, but he's still locked in on convincing Eric that his point is not just different, but flat out wrong. I can see this one going another 300 posts easily. Get your popcorn ready...

Since it's apparent you haven't read the entire thread or you have selective reading issues I'll give you the Cliff's Notes version. There are two different camps in this thread when it comes to receiving a pitch: The NECC version and a version used by the majority of MLB catchers. Neither camp has accused the other camp of being flat-out wrong. Each camp has stated that if it works for you that's great. One camp believes it's best that the catcher remain as quiet as possible whenever possible. The other camp believes it's important to get a straight arm and shoulder behind the ball when possible. The differences are as to the "how" and "why" certain things are done and what is actually happening in certain situations and videos.

Stuff like this is the reason places like discussfastpitch.com exist. If it bothers you maybe you should be surfing other types of websites.

Aug 26, 2015
I think you're right. I must have selective reading issues. So, please cure this illness. How does this...
It's all good. I'm loving the dialogue. You're passionate about your position and so is Eric. The community are the benefactors. Keep it going.

mean this....
Stuff like this is the reason places like discussfastpitch.com exist. If it bothers you maybe you should be surfing other types of websites.

tfzw8.jpg

Dec 19, 2012
I think you're right. I must have selective reading issues. So, please cure this illness. How does this...

mean this....

View attachment 9164

When you post incorrect stuff like this:

"In case you missed the memo, Lenski will not drop this until Eric agrees with him."
I am not trying to make Eric agree with me. As a matter of fact I am conversing with several people.

"It's been stated and restated that Eric respectfully disagrees with his approach, but he's still locked in on convincing Eric that his point is not just different, but flat out wrong."
Not once have I told Eric that he is flat out wrong. As a matter of fact both methods are explaining themselves as to why certain things are done. I have also stated that I respectfully disagree with the (NECC) approach concerning receiving, but their posts are continuing as well. We (both sides) might disagree about certain reasons why the approaches are done, but neither side has stated that the approach themselves are wrong. I don't ask Eric to end many of his posts with "If your dd is successful your way, that's great. I'm happy with the path we're taking." He does that on his own to reiterate his stance. Not because I am telling him he is wrong.

Now, here's something that I haven't said. Eric and I are the only parents/guardians posting videos of our kids showing the 2 different receiving methods. Eric's dd is about 6 or 7 years younger than my dd and remembering back when my dd was Eric's dd's age, I can tell you without a doubt that regardless of the method used, she will be successful if she sticks with it. If your dd is a catcher, let's see the video. Any catching video in this thread would be value added.

So......yeah.......selective reading.

Dec 19, 2012
lol......does your dd catch? If so, add some video. It will get us closer to your 300 posts projection.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
There are two different camps in this thread when it comes to receiving a pitch: The NECC version and a version used by the majority of MLB catchers. Neither camp has accused the other camp of being flat-out wrong. Each camp has stated that if it works for you that's great. One camp believes it's best that the catcher remain as quiet as possible whenever possible. The other camp believes it's important to get a straight arm and shoulder behind the ball when possible.

That is a mischaracterization of the NECC position (and mine, and Eric's probably - I can't speak for him).

Firstly, your phrasing is poor and implies that the NECC method is wrong. You said essentially that one camp (yours) preaches quiet, the other (NECC) does not. That is untrue. Both approaches believe in being quiet behind the plate, but the definition quiet is what appears to be at issue. You think it's quieter to keep the body still and reach out to a pitch outside the shoulders, NECC says it's quieter to shift the upper body slightly (no lean) and keep the glove inside the shoulders.

Secondly, Jen Schro might preach that arm-bar stuff (I honestly do not know), but NECC does not. Jay teaches (and Dave taught) calm and relaxed behind the plate, arm with a slight bend to receive.

My opinion is that reaching out to a ball and pulling it back in is "noisy." I also agree with the Weavers that it's not going to fool Blue into calling a ball a strike.

Aug 26, 2015
lol......does your dd catch? If so, add some video. It will get us closer to your 300 posts projection.

haha trust me.....if I had video to post of my dd, we'd exceed 2k posts because I know enough to be dangerous and am a sponge. I prefer to hear from experts on all sides and come up with a personal plan and ask questions from there to avoid 2k posts.

Dec 19, 2012
That is a mischaracterization of the NECC position (and mine, and Eric's probably - I can't speak for him).

Firstly, your phrasing is poor and implies that the NECC method is wrong. You said essentially that one camp (yours) preaches quiet, the other (NECC) does not. That is untrue. Both approaches believe in being quiet behind the plate, but the definition quiet is what appears to be at issue. You think it's quieter to keep the body still and reach out to a pitch outside the shoulders, NECC says it's quieter to shift the upper body slightly (no lean) and keep the glove inside the shoulders.

Secondly, Jen Schro might preach that arm-bar stuff (I honestly do not know), but NECC does not. Jay teaches (and Dave taught) calm and relaxed behind the plate, arm with a slight bend to receive.

My opinion is that reaching out to a ball and pulling it back in is "noisy." I also agree with the Weavers that it's not going to fool Blue into calling a ball a strike.

Umm....look at post #88. I believe that is Jay. It is a pic from the NECC website originally provided by Eric in this thread. Jay's arm is barred and his head is behind the ball in every postion: inside corner, middle, and outside corner. I've never been to a NECC camp so maybe they say something different.

I never claimed what NECC's version of "quiet" means. My definition of quiet is based on an actual definition you find in a dictionary. The action of the catcher's body being quiet refers to the verb meaning "still". So, when I say that a catcher's body should be as quiet as possible it means for me that the catchers body remains as still as possible. NECC, so I am led to believe based on others' posts plus the pic provided, teaches lean to the ball. In my world, that is not quiet. NECC might have a different explaination. But I do know this: The majority of MLB catchers do not instill lean. There is a reason for that.....and it has to do with the umpires. Otherwise, there is no reason not to do it.

You might think that catching a pitch outside the shoulders and bringing it in while the catcher's body remains as quiet as possible is noisy. That's fine, it's your world. However, the video of my dd catching the ball outside the shoulders and bringing it in while her body was as quiet as possible seems to have sold that umpire into calling a 3rd strike. It was against a college team when my dd was 16 and the umpire was a college ump. Does she get that call every time? Nope, but she gets that call much more than you would think. I've seen it happen for years.........

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06