Move up to 12u with team or stay at 10u...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2013
Stay down at 10U and move up a level or two. (If you are B, tryout for local A squads). Review USSSA and see which 9U teams have had good years - those are normally your top 10U teams the next year. Make contact with the coach for tryouts.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have a 10 yo player that has been in this position. Her team moved up, too. They stayed with their team because they liked the people and the coaching. Sometimes, that is hard to find. Her pitching is a work in progress, because she had to move up so young. Her speed is 41 and, of course, that is slow for 12U. She is small, but is speedy and plays infield well.

Feb 3, 2011
If your DD really wants to pitch, keep her in 10u and find a higher level team that's going to be playing better competition than they saw this year.

Like RetiredCoach said, the 12u coach wants her bat in the lineup and to have her as a position player. He's not looking to develop her as a pitcher.

Jul 2, 2014
Thank you so much for all the input. I think we both agree we want her to stay back. It's just matter of making sure she is ok with that and keeping her motivated and working hard.

We are really trying to convince her of that. It's all about making her a better player. We used the word dominate with her when trying to convince her. Her eyes definitely lit up a little. But leaving the 'safety net' of the other older girls and a winning team I think freaks her out a little.
This may not be as big a "safety net" as she thinks. It is a rare 10U team that moves up and continues its winning ways as a first-year 12U team. Experienced second-year 12U teams that are stacked with mature 12-13 year olds are quite often more than a match for most 14U squads ... young clubs coming up from 10U can really take some lumps against teams like this. These kids have likely never seen girls pitching at above 50 mph or girls who are capable of hitting a 12" ball over a 200' fence. They should see plenty of both at 12U.

I am not a big fan of girls playing up until they are mature (which means second-year 14U playing up to 16U). The rare exception for me is a girl who is completely dominant in her age group right now, meaning she is the clear-cut #1 pitcher or starting SS who hits in the #3 hole and has the highest BA on the team ... stuff like that. Confidence is a great thing for girls, and playing again at 10U and being one of the best on the team is a good way to gain some.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Based on what you've posted so far, she should move up.

I've read so far she "could" pitch in 10u, some posters have said she will pitch in 10U, but I've yet to read she wants to pitch.

Unless she has a strong desire to pitch (I don't know -?) it won't eventually matter if she pitches not. If she doesn't have the passion for pitching, the hitters will eventually surpass her ability to get them out.

You've also stated her coaches run a good practice. Will that happen for sure with the 10U team? Will they be run well, will the practices be a challenge?

It appears about the only benefit that would come with staying down at 10u is the ability to pitch in games. You just have to decide if that outweighs the potential risks of staying down.

Jul 2, 2014
I've read so far she "could" pitch in 10u, some posters have said she will pitch in 10U, but I've yet to read she wants to pitch.
I'll be honest, we are not sure of her desire yet either. In our minds, that was a reason for keeping her back. To give her a chance and find that out. Her pitching has improved a little just pitching in practices and some games in 10u rec.But she would get hit hard in 12u TB. When she started at SS those two tournaments she really seemed to enjoy it. As a biased father, I see her future as a starting SS and maybe #2 pitcher...Going by genetics, I don't see her having enough speed for the OF as she gets older. The 10u practices will be fine, but her current coach, and the one moving up, is more hardcore and she seems to respond well to that. I think I saw more improvement in her overall game this year (playing with older girls, hardcore coach), than I did last year playing 8u with younger girls and a more relaxed coach. I'm not even sure it's a fair comparison though.

Aug 9, 2013
And if you decide to stay in 10U, let the coach of the 12U team know you'd be willing to be a pick up player when he needs someone. That will keep you fresh in mind if you want to go back the following year.

Jul 2, 2013
Sounds as though she wants to play 12U. Hard to argue with her, and personally would not.

But once playing, and hitting well at 12U, maybe start looking for another 12U team.

Plus the coaches daughters MAY get exposed at 12U. You can basically play around in 10U. Once playing 12U and wanting to win tournaments, the SS and P or any other "preferred" position CF, 3B, 2B, C, WILL get exposed if not good enough.

Go with the flow. Playing 12U and being around a great 12U (maybe) team will make her a better player, if she is a regular batter. Take infield reps in practice. Become better than the coaches kids right before their eyes. Then if the coaches are too stubborn, go to another 12U team. Though much may be the same as far as position goes.

PS ... if she is not going to a pitching coach, pitching regular in practice, or playing pitcher ... news flash, she is NOT a pitcher. Just someone who WANTS to be a pitcher. Pitching is the hardest and most dedicated position on the field. If your player is not in the top 20% in work ethic, and dedication, then she will not be a pitcher.

Plenty of "pitchers" stop being so in 12U, after getting rocked against good teams.

Unless, she is several inches taller than all her peers.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2014
PS ... if she is not going to a pitching coach, pitching regular in practice, or playing pitcher ... news flash, she is NOT a pitcher. Just someone who WANTS to be a pitcher. Pitching is the hardest and most dedicated position on the field. If your player is not in the top 20% in work

I agree with this. We thought next year would be the test. If she really enjoys it and is motivated we would get her all the coaching she needs. If not we know not to concentrate on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877