Most intense schedules?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Of the travel ball teams you know, who practices/plays the most? How much official time off do they get? Do you know teams that practice all year long, and expect their players to be there at least 2x per week in the winter, and 3x per week in the summer during season? 12-15-20 tournaments a year? What age are they?

Just wondering what seems to be the extreme edge across the country......

TR

Jul 26, 2010
Some of the most "schedule intensive" teams I know are also the worst. For some reason, there's a particular demographic that believes that if you slam your head into a wall harder and longer then the next guy, you'll get more accomplished. The kids practice 3 days a week, have core training on another day, and BP another day. When they're not playing tournament weekends they're playing friendly 3 game scrimmages on Saturdays. None of these teams are particuarly good, but maybe they get credit for effort? Schedule is 18 tournaments between feb-aug, and 8 or so more in the fall season. They get most of december off.

-W

Oct 10, 2011
Our team gets one weekend off a month. Two 2 1/2 hour practices in winter; two 3 hour practices while school is in and a 3rd in Summer. A lot of times we are traveling Friday night so that is a night off. The girls just got a speech on how they are supposed to get at least 200 swings outside of practice. The majority of girls are getting private lessons also. December is batting once a week but not mandatory. (14U)

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Our team gets one weekend off a month. Two 2 1/2 hour practices in winter; two 3 hour practices while school is in and a 3rd in Summer. A lot of times we are traveling Friday night so that is a night off. The girls just got a speech on how they are supposed to get at least 200 swings outside of practice. The majority of girls are getting private lessons also. December is batting once a week but not mandatory. (14U)

So, you're saying during season you have one night off a week from softball-related stuff (Monday nights)...not counting the Friday travel? And you're practicing 9 hours during the week?

Oct 10, 2011
That sounds about right. We don't have to travel Fridays but a lot of times it's easier to stay in a hotel room close to the tournament. I'm not sure about the length of the 3rd practice in the summer yet (I'm hoping its just a batting practice and shorter). We have private lessons now on Mondays...but that is what my DD wanted. Practices move indoors if it rains where on the old team they just cancelled.

Apr 9, 2012
3 hour practice 2x a week on tourney weeks and 3xs on non tourney weeks. 2 weeks off in aug and 2 weeks off in dec. Hitting and pitching lessons 2 nights a week in offseason.

12-14 tourneys feb to july and 4-5 sept to mid nov.

Between 2 clubs I spend every weekend at the fields and 5 nights a week doing something softball related.

That and I am the president of my league (and club).

Some of us live this game. I have 36 daughters........

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Rogue, you also need to define the age group and location (Oregon?).

As the kids get older, the TB team practices get fewer. At 18U, it is difficult to have many team practices.

A TB team in SoCal will practice more than a TB team in Minnesota, just because there are limits to fields and facilities.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Rogue, you also need to define the age group and location (Oregon?).

As the kids get older, the TB team practices get fewer. At 18U, it is difficult to have many team practices.

A TB team in SoCal will practice more than a TB team in Minnesota, just because there are limits to fields and facilities.

2nd year 14U, Oregon.

Generally speaking, we can get outside regularly from April through mid-October. Otherwise outside practice is just a present if we get one in during the winter.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
All our tb girls have to play rec, so most weeks apr-may are 3 rec games, mostly weekday nights. Rec practice or 2. Tb practice or 2. Fri-Sun tourneys. So almost everyday sball, somedays rec game and several tb games. Dd and I had a run of 19 days in row of something sball. Can where on you and there is no avoiding of homework suffering when we are gettin home at 10:00 several nights a week.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
14U travel ball
Jan - Feb: indoor workouts once or twice a week, private batting/pitching lessons
Mar-July: practice 2-3 days a week for 2 hours each, private batting/pitching lessons, @ 12 tournaments
Aug-mid Oct: School ball (softball is a Fall sport in GA), private batting/pitching lessons
mid Oct - Nov: practice 2-3 days a week for 2 hour each, private batting/pitching lessons, @ 3 tournaments
Dec - off season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah