Most Important Training Tool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2013
Been thinking about what is the most important training tool that I could purchase?

What has been everyone's most valuable (not the most . . .or the least . . expensive) tool that they use in the development of their DD's?

They pitch, catch, infield, and outfield. Youngun's . . .9 and 11 so lots of development to go.

Thought about pitching machine . . . only focuses on hitting.
Thought about video's/training camps . . . already in lessons, though.
Thought about a batting cage . . . . Might be a down payment and no machine, though. But I could pitch to 'em inside it.
Thought about a video camera . . . .60fps for slow motion but expensive.
Thought about new bats, gloves, etc . . . . not a lot of developmental effect, but good to have.

Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks for the wisdom in advance.

Jason

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Been thinking about what is the most important training tool that I could purchase?

What has been everyone's most valuable (not the most . . .or the least . . expensive) tool that they use in the development of their DD's?

They pitch, catch, infield, and outfield. Youngun's . . .9 and 11 so lots of development to go.

Thought about pitching machine . . . only focuses on hitting.
Thought about video's/training camps . . . already in lessons, though.
Thought about a batting cage . . . . Might be a down payment and no machine, though. But I could pitch to 'em inside it.
Thought about a video camera . . . .60fps for slow motion but expensive.
Thought about new bats, gloves, etc . . . . not a lot of developmental effect, but good to have.

Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks for the wisdom in advance.

Jason

Thought about a video camera . . . .60fps for slow motion but expensive. Is My vote.

Jun 24, 2013
The best purchase was Mike Candrea's USA Softball DVDs in order to become a better coach and a more knowledgeable softball parent.
I use my video camera and software I purchased for under $100 to make game DVD's. I also use it for slo-mo type activites also.
Spent money for private pitching lessons (all 3 DD's pitch LOL)
Spent money on a batting cage (no wheel machine yet, they are pricey)
Spent money on nice bats ($150-$300+) too.
There is a saying that if you can have either money or a boat but not both at the same time. I think the same thing applies to softball parents. If your DD's play SB and you want them to have the best, you won't have much money.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
It sounds like you are looking for something for your personal use for when you spend one-on-one time with your daughters.

If that is the case...my suggestion is an over-sized net (12X24) that you can hang between two trees or from two poles/posts you insert in the ground....along with a Quality Batting Tee.

With this set-up you can do Tee Work, Soft Toss, Self Toss. It can also serve as backdrop for pitching practice & blocking drills (catcher).

Bow Net with the tunnel net, a Tanner tee and three dozen regulation softballs.

Use the net for all types of hitting (tee, soft toss, drop toss, etc.), for throwing practice and pitching practice.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Can't choose just one product as the best, but a combo of a good net (like Bownet bigmouth), good tee (like Tanner), a bunch of softballs and plenty of time with her helping her learn to hit, catch and throw is absolutely the best investment IMO.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
The best purchase was Mike Candrea's USA Softball DVDs in order to become a better coach and a more knowledgeable softball parent.
I use my video camera and software I purchased for under $100 to make game DVD's. I also use it for slo-mo type activites also.
Spent money for private pitching lessons (all 3 DD's pitch LOL)
Spent money on a batting cage (no wheel machine yet, they are pricey)
Spent money on nice bats ($150-$300+) too.
There is a saying that if you can have either money or a boat but not both at the same time. I think the same thing applies to softball parents. If your DD's play SB and you want them to have the best, you won't have much money.

#1 on this list... Knowledge!! Try to get your hands on as many books and DVDs. Become a student of the game.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
On the subject of best tees I prefer a Jugs 5 position tee. Quality is as good as tanner AND you can work positions as we all know focusing on the middle pitch yields the least results.

My best tool. My bucket. I sit on it and spend time with my kids. use that time to build mental strength and skills as you can have all the talent in the world but if you dont know the game......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom