MLB: replay challenges: love 'em, hate 'em, indifferent?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Red Sox vs. Yankees last night - 'Sox turn a double play to end the inning. Yankees manager decides to challenge the call. As the batter's foot came down on first base, the ball was in contact with the first baseman's glove, but the first baseman had not yet closed his glove upon the ball in order to be "in complete control" of the ball. The runner was ruled safe. Managers are not allowed to then argue a challenge, which the Red Sox manager did, loudly and boldly, and was immediately ejected.

Replay challenges were meant to eliminate the need for arguing calls - clearly the challenge system failed in this particular instance. However, the umpires will say that the replays merely insure that every single call is the right one, which , begrudgingly, I have to say that maybe the overturned DP call was the right one, but we're REALLY REALLY splitting hairs here.

Here's what I really don't like: the manager, in pondering a challenges, walks slllooowwwllllyyyy out to the umpire. Meanwhile, the guys upstairs are pulling up the film and watching the replay. They then call down to the bench coach, who gives the manager and thumbs up or a thumbs down. Thumbs up, the guys think the call can be overturned, and the manager challenges. I think that the manager should make his decision based upon his eyes on the field only. Preemptive use of replay technology feels like cheating.

Or maybe I'm just mad because the Red Sox lost. :)

Jun 24, 2013
I think the NCAA BB was a little bit of a mess this year. I disagreed with some of their calls after everyone watched the replay 5 million times. It will never be quite right but better than a plain blown call. (I need to reference DD's game, dang it no replay allow)

More or less I am OK with the replay rules MLB put in place, they will be different next year as they fine tune it.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Here's what I really don't like: the manager, in pondering a challenges, walks slllooowwwllllyyyy out to the umpire. Meanwhile, the guys upstairs are pulling up the film and watching the replay. They then call down to the bench coach, who gives the manager and thumbs up or a thumbs down. Thumbs up, the guys think the call can be overturned, and the manager challenges. I think that the manager should make his decision based upon his eyes on the field only. Preemptive use of replay technology feels like cheating.
I somewhat agree with this. It's nice they get it right but the slow walk is a killer. If they had 3 challenges instead of 1 or something like that I think I'd agree with you. Give a manager 3 wrong challenges per game and if you come out of the dugout it is a challenge whether you meant it of not.

Or maybe I'm just mad because the Red Sox lost. :)
Funny, as a Yankee fan I had the other reaction.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Indiana, after seeing that replay, I wonder why there is instant replay. There is not question at all that the call was wrong and yet, it was not overturned. A wasted few minutes where the umpires/officials (don't know what to call them) at MLB offices didn't want to overturn a clearly wrong call on the field.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Indiana, after seeing that replay, I wonder why there is instant replay. There is not question at all that the call was wrong and yet, it was not overturned. A wasted few minutes where the umpires/officials (don't know what to call them) at MLB offices didn't want to overturn a clearly wrong call on the field.

The double play call? Do you mean that the overturned call should have been overturned, reinstating the double play and subtracting the run? Or do you mean Saturday's game, where the runner on second should have been out but was called safe?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
I am against anything slowing the game down more. I want a pitch clock ;) so we can get rid of teh long dance of waiting to pitch step out adjust batting gloves get back in ..... lets get this game moving

Mar 26, 2013
Tough for Red Sox Nation to take after the umps missed a call the night before and replay didn't correct it - Yankee runner tagged after overrunning 2B, but wasn't called out. Adding fuel to the fire, the rationale for overturning last night's call was contrary to what is supposed to happen - go by when the ball touches the glove/mitt, not when they complete the catch. That's because the umpires on the field are looking at the base and listening for the sound of the ball hitting the glove. I haven't seen the replay, but it sounds like it didn't provide conclusive evidence to overturn the call.

Here's a Boston Globe article on it - MLB replay system under fire. The article's author, Dan Shaughnessy, made a couple of incorrect statements in it.

"Tie goes to the runner." Really? Maybe in your sandlot games. LOL

He goes on to criticize the Red Sox players for staying out on the field because it might influence the decision. The problem with that story is the replay rules require the defense to stay out on the field until they review the play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog