Mitt help please?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Even with new 10U catchers, I will (softly) toss real balls at their face mask and chest. As GG was talking about, it's about learning to trust the gear. A catcher pulling her head up and away exposes themselves to injury, which is even more of an issue than just dropping pitches.

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
Another thing to practice with the "flinching" drills. Have someone stand in the batters box and swing the bat while you toss the balls to/at your DD. Don't hit the balls, just to get your DD used to someone swinging a bat in her personal space. This also works for working on throwing around the batter for 1st and 3rd pick-offs.

It's not for everyone, but for those who love that kind of action and intensity, it's addictive. Cheers to the new CATHER-BEAST!!

My DD agrees with this whole heartedly! Totally addictive.

Oct 16, 2014
Just wanted to thank everyone again for all of the help. This group is amazing like that :)

An update: DD told me she doesn't care for the Mizunos. I don't know if this current one has left a bad impression or if it's jus the way they feel to her. She didn't really care for the Mizunos when we were looking for a new infield glove last Fall either so I'll give her that.
Since Dick's is the only store available to us and all they had were Mizuno, I have since done some online ordering of the following:

Wilson A1500 33"
Wilson A600 33"
Easton Synergy 33" (a catcher on my younger DD's team has this glove and she used it last night and DD1 was pretty interested in it)

if none of these work out I will order an Akadema AAR64 and an All Star CMW3000 to also try. She's only catching in the 3rd string spot right now until she gains more experience so I don't know if buying a really expensive glove is the best idea but I also want her to be comfortable and confident.

We decided to try the Wilsons first because her infield glove is Wilson. She loves her Wilson.

Also, I did a LOT of searching through threads and don't see much input on the Wilson catcher mitts. I really like Wilson Gloves so I will post back with my/her thoughts on them:

thank you again for the responses and PM's !!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The Easton gloves are very decent for the money. Per our PM discussion, the A600 is going to be a step above the Miz 101. The A1500 should last for a while, especially if she is not the #1 catcher. Go with what feels good to her and makes her most comfortable.

A note about the All-Star CMW3000...It will need some time - a significant amount of time, probably - to break in to game-ready condition. It is quite stiff out of the box, but built to last.

Oct 16, 2014
thanks Eric you were very helpful!!

I know my DD and I'm placing my bets on either the A600 or the Easton. She is not a patient girl when it comes to breaking in gloves (we have the same size hand so I broke in her current Wilson Onyx myself... which is still breaking in!!) I know the A600 is only a small step up from the Mizuno 101. She likes game ready though. I think the A1500 will be too stiff , higher price point Wilson's are pretty stiff right out of the box, but you never know. I'm just excited to see them all. She need something soon. little sis (9) had her pitching debut last night and big sis came off the bleachers to warm her up in the top of the 5th…… she came back to sit down with me and I got an even better look at the floppiness and it's really bad. Little Sis only pitches like 35 mph on a good day and some balls wouldn't stay in, this is without the sometimes flinching and just in warm ups mind you

stay tuned

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Eric is correct about the All-Star CMW3000, I have one. If you're leaning toward an All-Star save yourself $50.00 and get the 4000 model. A dad on our MS team just ordered his DD one and its a great looking mitt and softer than my 3000. He paid $119.00 for it.

Mar 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Deuce Vinci - Blur.jpg My DD really likes Vinci JCV-34. She is an 03 12u... She loves the size, deep pocket and the thumb protection via the thicker padding/support. My .02

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67