Middle School/Travel Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Not all states have the same rules.

Not related to MS ball but this was a lesson we learned at the All-Star World Series where the GA USSSA rules differ from AL rules in that you can't have TB players on an all-star team but apparently in AL you can - and for some reason we had to play by AL rules since the World Series was in AL. Turns out a number of girls on the team that beat us were playing on a B team (where our rules state you can play only on a C team).

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Gwinnett County - from what I'm reading we do our Middle School a little differently in that we only play about 10 games - all double-headers on Sundays - so you are a lot less busy. You have to be a student at the middle school but it's not affiliated with the middle school. There can be multiple teams but it's all based off the high school you're feeding into. There are also 3 divisions where a pre-tournament can decide which one your team will play in.

I know a majority of the girls in the higher division for sure play Travel but wasn't sure if that rule applied or mattered since MS play will end right before October when TB is probably starting their tournaments.

My DD came up thru Gwinnett MS and now plays at a Gwinnett HS. Please feel free to send me a PM if you have questions.

Jul 26, 2016
I got a bit misconstrued on abbreviations as in State rules.
So, MS meant Middle School.

My whole .02 about it.
A schools rights over my kids anything outside the perimeter of the school yard fences ends AT the fences.

Although our goal for future, higher level play had nothing to do with HS ball, which in our area is notoriously weak but touted as great by the school coaches. Know plenty of nationally competitive players who never played softball in HS period.
As far as competition, in our situation, HS and high end travel are like comparing a dump truck and a Ferrari

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Gwinnett County - from what I'm reading we do our Middle School a little differently in that we only play about 10 games - all double-headers on Sundays - so you are a lot less busy. You have to be a student at the middle school but it's not affiliated with the middle school. There can be multiple teams but it's all based off the high school you're feeding into. There are also 3 divisions where a pre-tournament can decide which one your team will play in.

What you're describing is what I would call a high school feeder league, not a middle school league. It's a middle school league in that the game is played by middle-schoolers, but the middle schools themselves aren't important. I assume that the Brookwood feeder team has players from 2-3 middle schools. So this is about Brookwood, not about any middle school. And any given middle school might hypothetically feed more than one high school. So some kids at Middle School A might play for Brookwood, others Parkview. In Cobb, you don't have to attend a feeder middle school to play feeder ball. You just have to live in the high school district, which opens it up to private schools and home schoolers.

In any event, it sounds like this is a private league and as such can make whatever rules it wants. There are no state rules in Georgia governing feeder teams or middle school leagues.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good luck with that.

There are individual state rules if you want to play for a school.

If you do not play for a school, do what you want.

Jul 17, 2016
My whole .02 about it.
A schools rights over my kids anything outside the perimeter of the school yard fences ends AT the fences.

I didn't like the rule when we still had it here in TN (just went away last year for MS...after my kid started playing HS anyway), but there are lots of things outside the fence that are regulated that affect the fence. Think about pitching rules in baseball. If you allowed kids to play wherever simultaneously with school ball, the TN innings pitched rule designed to protect the kid's arm might end up being skirted if you have a kid playing a Friday school game, then Saturday independent ball.

That's probably some of the origin of this stuff. The end result is annoying, but I can kind of guess how it happened.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I got a bit misconstrued on abbreviations as in State rules.
So, MS meant Middle School.

My whole .02 about it.

Although our goal for future, higher level play had nothing to do with HS ball, which in our area is notoriously weak but touted as great by the school coaches. Know plenty of nationally competitive players who never played softball in HS period.
As far as competition, in our situation, HS and high end travel are like comparing a dump truck and a Ferrari

Agree in principal, but the OP's situation is not a school making the rules. It's a private league that builds teams based on what school district you live in. That said, I don't object to your position about being told what your kid does outside of this league.

You also are correct about HS ball vs. high-end travel. However, if you are a 6th or probably even a 7th-grader playing in a feeder league in Gwinnett or Cobb counties in Georgia, where these teams are feeding great-big high schools (2,000-3,500 students), then that 6th grader is going to get going to get very good competition, generally better than their TB team.

Jul 26, 2016
Agree in principal, but the OP's situation is not a school making the rules. It's a private league that builds teams based on what school district you live in. That said, I don't object to your position about being told what your kid does outside of this league.

You also are correct about HS ball vs. high-end travel. However, if you are a 6th or probably even a 7th-grader playing in a feeder league in Gwinnett or Cobb counties in Georgia, where these teams are feeding great-big high schools (2,000-3,500 students), then that 6th grader is going to get going to get very good competition, generally better than their TB team.

I'm somewhat familiar with the GA Impact, Cobb Bullets, Vipers bunch. Mine went thru the Bolts org.
The whole Team Mizuno association things. Indy, PGF etc.
Having done that, the 4 teams Ive mentioned have done things correctly as far as reaching 'on the map'

And yes in the circumstances where that 6th grader would be playing against or with HS aged kids from the GA teams I mentioned, then yes, they would be very undergunned :)

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I'm somewhat familiar with the GA Impact, Cobb Bullets, Vipers bunch. Mine went thru the Bolts org.
The whole Team Mizuno association things. Indy, PGF etc.
Having done that, the 4 teams Ive mentioned have done things correctly as far as reaching 'on the map'

And yes in the circumstances where that 6th grader would be playing against or with HS aged kids from the GA teams I mentioned, then yes, they would be very undergunned :)

The fall season after DD finished Pee-Wee All-Stars she played up in Minor and they played a friendly with EC Bullets - our team was just shocked by them. The one near us is one that I've always got on my list to check out if/when DD decides to try TB - but they are an A team so I am not sure she'd even make it :/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves