Mel Hall - Portrait of a Predator

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I found out many years later that Allen was one of the most notorious pedophiles in the US at the time. My parents knew that, and kept a close eye on things. Sweet guy, but needed to be watched carefully. Harmless when the parents were watching.

Lets ask how harmless and sweet he was to those less fortunate kids that this perv abused. Neither my parents nor I would let a known pedophile anywhere near my kid, let alone in my house.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Lets ask how harmless and sweet he was to those less fortunate kids that gave him the label. Neither my parents nor I would let a know pedophile anywhere near my kid, let alone in my house.

I am not surprised to see a post like this. In fact, I was expecting a nastier version, along the lines of how could my parents let me be near a notorious pedophile. So, thank you for not being judgmental of my parents, and for not being nasty, and I will respectfully explain what I see as their side.

Several things you must realize: Allen's victims tended to be older than I was at the time (10). He went for the young teens. I was too young.

He also went for the kids who were gay or confused. I am not in that category.

He also had a LOT more respect for the family of his friends than did any other of the Beatniks. I remember reading an article about the children of the Beats, and how Allen was the ONLY Beatnik who treated the children of the other Beatniks like family. My father wasn't a Beatnik, although he had once been close to Jack Kerouac, Lucien Carr, etc., but Allen treated me like family, not like prey. I still remember running across Allen right after my father's death. Allen was very kind. (My father didn't like all the Beats. My father hated William Burroughs.)

Allen had a LOT of respect for my father and his family. Allen used to visit my father at my grandparents' house on a regular basis in the 40s and 50s. Allen's own upbringing was so dysfunctional that he truly enjoyed being with a "normal" family. When Allen visited my parents' house, he greatly enjoyed being with a "normal" family. As deliberately weird as Allen's lifestyle was, he truly enjoyed his "straight" (meaning non-Beatnik) friends as a change of pace. (My father also visited Allen. I remember reading the poem Kaddish for Naomi Ginsberg, and asking my father his impressions of Naomi Ginsberg).

Not to mention Allen was eternally grateful for the way my father stood up for Allen when Allen was kicked out of college for allegedly having homosexual relations with Jack Kerouac. (The charges were false, but Allen was expelled anyway.) About a decade later I saw Allen at a poetry reading at my college, and introduced myself. Allen shouted out to everyone who I was, and then talked to me about what my father had done for him.

So, my parents knew nothing would happen, but they wouldn't let him alone with one of their kids.

As for letting a known pedophile in their house? The other side of the story is my father wanting to reconnect with someone who had once been one of his closest friends, whom he hadn't seen for a long time. Allen was with his long-term lover, Peter Orlosky. It was just old buddies hanging out together. They hadn't seen each other for years, and wouldn't see each other again for another decade. (not much in the way of grooming opportunities here).

But hey, in those days parents were less over-protective of their kids. The attitude in those days was let the funny uncle in the house (or strange old friend) and keep a close eye on him. Was the the correct attitude? I don't know, but attitudes have changed over the years.

In a strange way, it was safer for the kids to be around a known pedophile,and be carefully watched, than someone who was trusted and admired. Look at the way the Mel Hall treated the kids of the parents who trusted him, and didn't KNOW he was dangerous.

Also, note that Allen was not sleeping in our living room, or in my bedroom. He stayed at a hotel, and was over at our house for a few hours.

Still, this is in no way meant to excuse anything Allen did. My father considered Allen to be mentally ill, and often completely out of control.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Several things you must realize: Allen's victims tended to be older than I was at the time (10). He went for the young teens. I was too young.

As you can see from the story on Hall, sometimes the grooming starts long before the actual abuse.

Glad yours turned out well and nothing happened but I'm with InsidePitch, no friggin' way someone I know (or strongly suspect) to be a pedophile is coming anywhere near my house let alone in it while my kids are there.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Bob, I'm having a hard time believing the part that your parents knew your dads old friend was a disgusting pedophile and still invited him to the house around kids?!?!? WTF?
I would not only disown an old friend I would deny ever knowing him. And hell would have to freeze over my dead body before I'd invite him into my house around my kids! You said "he's a great guy when parents are around" well...I believe the measure of a person is who they are when no one else is looking.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Why people became enamored with Mel Hall in the first place is beyond me. I guess people are that desperate for money, recognition, glamor, etc.

But, with these atrocities occurring decades ago, I can't imagine that race was never brought up. If it was, the article steered clear of it.

No amount of money would have convinced my parents to let a grown man to lounge on our couch, let alone in my bedroom. I guess the saying that a sucker is born every minute, is true.

I also, can't imagine a HS even allowing him at prom. My kids schools had strict rules about who could attend and age was one of the rules.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My takeaway is that many of the parents are total idiots. Parents always talk a good game when it comes to protecting their kids, but often their actions fall woefully short. Ask yourself, family, friends, co-workers When was the last time you checked the sex offender registry and found out who lives nearby? Have you ever checked it?. Who are the people you trust with the welfare of your children? When is the last time you saw your kids Facebook page? The list goes on. For every predator that is caught, many more go undetected. It is very easy to be outraged after the fact. But it is up to you to keep it from happening.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Why people became enamored with Mel Hall in the first place is beyond me. I guess people are that desperate for money, recognition, glamor, etc.

But, with these atrocities occurring decades ago, I can't imagine that race was never brought up. If it was, the article steered clear of it.

No amount of money would have convinced my parents to let a grown man to lounge on our couch, let alone in my bedroom. I guess the saying that a sucker is born every minute, is true.

I also, can't imagine a HS even allowing him at prom. My kids schools had strict rules about who could attend and age was one of the rules.

To your point, common sense seems to be a commodity in rapid decline as time passes. Being politically correct and the desire for a utopian existence only seems to enable this type of behavior.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00