mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Player just starting to pitch 10u rec ball, but doesn't fill comfortable wearing a mask while pitching. Should coach/dad make the player wear one. Need opinions. Thanks

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Is she were my DD I would tell her to wear the mask or find another position....especially at 10U.

May 13, 2012
Mine just got first HS win with a mask on. I have never backed off, until she is 18 no mask no pitch. We made it clear.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not her choice to make. She is 10 yrs old or younger. Be a parent.

If you think she should wear one, she wears one or she doesn't play. The end.

(note: I don't think it should be necessarily mandated by league or across the sport, but if parent says it goes on, it goes on)

Oct 16, 2014
My DD's are a pitcher and an infielder and they wear masks. I witnessed a girl get drilled in the head by a line drive last Fall and leave the field in an ambulance. She was wearing a batting helmet (running from 2nd to 3rd when she got hit) and the ball hit her so hard it caused the helmet to jerk her head back she got whiplash. Now I imagine that being my kids face? Nope…. not gonna happen

Dec 22, 2012
had my pitcher take a shot in the face in first year 10U. would've been in the hospital without mask. There is no way any of my pitchers get time in the circle without a mask. It's just not worth it to me.

It only takes one swing and less than second to cause serious damage, and there is nothing a parent can do about it from the sidelines. To me, it's especially important early on. You've got pitchers who are not throwing hard and girls that are 1-2 years older that are bigger and stronger. It's a bad combination.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan