Marketable Positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2013
Hi everyone. My DD will be a 1st yr 12u TB player this year. We are probably going to stay with her current team until next year when will try out for others. She plays 1st currently with 3rd being her secondary position. I'm thinking most higher level teams, unless she gets lucky, will be stacked at 1st. She's ok at 3rd but looking to see if there is an outfield position I can get her work in that may be more attractive to another team. I know its all based on their current need but looking to see if you had any opinions on it. She really wants a more competitive team with more practice etc. I think she is even tired of being the big fish in a small pond. Thanks!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She is at the right age to be transitioning to outfield. 12U is the beginning of kids learning to play the outfield.

"Stacked" isn't the right word. Usually, 1B has a great bat but can't play other positions. So, if your DD has a good bat and other skills, there are better places for her to play.

The questions:

(1) how is her bat?
(2) Is she fast? High level teams need fast outfielders.

Aug 14, 2011
After going through the recruiting process with my DD, I would say that the more experience your DD has at multiple positions, the better she will be if her goal is to play college ball. Coaches like versatility. Get her whatever experience you can.

Jul 22, 2013
She is at the right age to be transitioning to outfield. 12U is the beginning of kids learning to play the outfield.

"Stacked" isn't the right word. Usually, 1B has a great bat but can't play other positions. So, if your DD has a good bat and other skills, there are better places for her to play.

The questions:

(1) how is her bat?
(2) Is she fast? High level teams need fast outfielders.

Thanks for the reply! By stacked I just meant they are probably several players deep who can play 1st. DD has hit in the 4 hole for her TB, Rec and district team all season. She had a great power year. Her speed is probably about avg, she has long legs (5'3") her home to first time is good but it doesn't look pretty! She has private instruction for hitting as we'll as 1st base so her foot work there is good. Just want to be more attractive when we try out. Don't want to have the HC say sorry I already have 3 1st basemen. Any specific OF position that is less populated?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Any specific OF position that is less populated?
If she is fast and tracks balls well. Work on CF. A CF who can close the gaps off holding 2Bs to 1Bs and rundown fly balls in the alley for outs is invaluable.

If she has a strong arm, RF. Do not under estimate the value of the 9-3 putout in softball. As well as cutting down runners trying to go from 1st to 3rd on a single.

LF is probably the weakest OF in SB.

Jun 24, 2013
DD was complaining about this yesterday, when we work on fielding it always seems to be OF. She very seldom leaves the IF and her Teams practice infield a lot which is why she works on the OF when we practice. Her choice.

I agree with what you are thinking, DD can play any of the 3 OF positions but depending on your DD she should be able to play at least LF or RF, more opportunities.

DD’s favorite position is 1st, and she is good at it, she only played there a few innings this year.

The ball comes off the bat differently when playing LF or RF, work on both. Same skills just watching the ball coming off the bat is different.

Jul 2, 2013
Don't ever hang your hat on 1st base. Most political position in the game. Must be able to hit. Height matters. Speed always matters at the upper levels, but not always at 1st base.

When young 1st base matters as everyone cannot catch. When older, everyone can catch, and 1st base becomes a place for the weaker players.

Always be a player who primarily plays somewhere else, who can also play 1st base.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Second base is a good spot. You must learn the short game coverage and be a pretty good fielder. Quick feet help for getting the out at second and covering first if not crashing the bunt. I second SCDad, first is where kids infield careers end.

Apr 26, 2012
I disagree with Sluggers on his assessment of 1st base. You see my daughter plays 1st, why.. Great glove, plays smart, always thinking of trying to get the lead runner out. Great arm with accuracy, her and our 3rd baseman had 6 DP's of girls trying to take 3rd on a bunt attempt. Oh, and she has a great bat, not power but makes contact, moves runners, bunts, OBP in WS was 761. 3K's only 2 in the last game against the eventual 2nd place team. Maybe your team that's the case but I and my other coaches never like anyone else at 1st. I've tried to put other people there they just don't have that "it" thing there. She is also lefty, her throws to 2nd are easier to make on when moving to her right. She also plays LF, excellent 1st step.

If you can work the OF with her make sure she takes that 1st step back and don't back peddle. Watch Jessica Mendoza video on OF on you tube. She is the best at explaining how important the OF is.

Apr 26, 2012
I disagree with Sluggers on his assessment of 1st base. You see my daughter plays 1st, why.. Great glove, plays smart, always thinking of trying to get the lead runner out. Great arm with accuracy, her and our 3rd baseman had 6 DP's of girls trying to take 3rd on a bunt attempt. Oh, and she has a great bat, not power but makes contact, moves runners, bunts, OBP in WS was 761. 3K's only 2 in the last game against the eventual 2nd place team. Maybe your team that's the case but I and my other coaches never like anyone else at 1st. I've tried to put other people there they just don't have that "it" thing there. She is also lefty, her throws to 2nd are easier to make on when moving to her right. She also plays LF, excellent 1st step.

If you can work the OF with her make sure she takes that 1st step back and don't back peddle. Watch Jessica Mendoza video on OF on you tube. She is the best at explaining how important the OF is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207