Making the switch from Right to Left!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I have been involved in softball in one form or another since 1972 but I proved I can be a bumbling idiot. My granddaughter starting playing when she was 9. She was living with her father at the time and I went out bought her a glove. Being a girl that adores her grandfather, she took the glove and played. I got her a right hander's glove, not realizing that she was left handed. Well, after watching her struggle for 4 years, I got her a left handed glove. Now, she is in the process of adjusting. I was wondering if anyone had this problem and how long it took them to adjust?

May 9, 2014
I have been involved in softball in one form or another since 1972 but I proved I can be a bumbling idiot. My granddaughter starting playing when she was 9. She was living with her father at the time and I went out bought her a glove. Being a girl that adores her grandfather, she took the glove and played. I got her a right hander's glove, not realizing that she was left handed. Well, after watching her struggle for 4 years, I got her a left handed glove. Now, she is in the process of adjusting. I was wondering if anyone had this problem and how long it took them to adjust?

I don't know, but I bet in the case of a left hander, switching to playing left handed, it should be pretty quick just because that will be more natural. I think that it would be a very easy transition. Switching a left hander to throwing left, I bet she is better than before in no time.

I am dealing with switching a right hander to throwing left...

My 8yo, is at least temporarily making the switch from right to left, due to injury. In two weeks she will be allowed to do everything with her right arm except throw, so she will be playing left handed for a month or so. She will probably be playing first since her normal other position is pitching and I doubt she can pitch left handed (being 8 she thinks she can). I imagine fielding with her dominant hand will not be too difficult, but the throwing we will be working on. She adjusted quickly to batting from both sides, so I am hoping she can hold her own while she works back to throwing with her right.

I am very interested in how it went for you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01