Make players aggressive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2013
Coaches,
Seem to be having an issue here and I'm looking for a little help. I have players that have talent, but I need to make them aggressive, give them that sense of urgency. It's like they move at one speed and nothing really phases them. It's extremely frustrating as their coach knowing the talent they got and its not fulling being pulled out of them.
We are talking 14u here.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dec 7, 2011
Here's my little point of view:

Either girls have the drive or they don't. If they have the drive it's because they either love competition or they have a goal of getting to the "next level" that pushes them to want to win. In seeing the SB community of girls around here the few that originally had the drive at 10U still have it at 18U. The ones that don't,....just don't.

Not to say you cant put together a well-working team of girls that just really like being out doing something fun with a bunch of their friends. To me, girls, different from boys, need to have positive-fun in the team, or if they are not those "driven" few, it can be like pulling teeth.

Sounds like you got to get your team a shot of "fun".

Again, just my .02

May 13, 2012
Here's my little point of view:

Not to say you cant put together a well-working team of girls that just really like being out doing something fun with a bunch of their friends. To me, girls, different from boys, need to have positive-fun in the team,
Sounds like you got to get your team a shot of "fun".

My team to a T. We started 10u now at 14u. We finally won our first tourny with a lot of 2nds and 3rds with pleanty of spankings along the way. It is what it is. I enjoy coaching they learn and have improved every yr. They have a lot of fun at tourny's between games. No we arn't an A league team but it is about what goals you have and want the that paticular team wants.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(1) Are you putting players on the bench if they don't perform up to their potential? Or do you let it ride? At some point, you have to apply pine liberally to their backside.

(2) Are you encouraging them to push themselves? Do you go for the double play on a grounder to SS or do you settle for the out at 2nd? Do you make them try to take one more base or are you worried they will get thrown out?

(3) Steal, steal, steal.

(4) Make every player have a job on every play. Do *NOT* let the outfielders sit out there and pick dandelions on a grounder to SS. Then, if a player doesn't do her job, criticize her. When she does do her job, praise her.

(5) Do you make the kids hustle? Here is a simple rule: Everyone (including the coaches) run to their positions during a game.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
I think if there is competition between the girls it will drive them to be a little more aggressive. I am not talking about necessarily bad competition but once some of the girls see the other ones succeeding (at least on my team) it drives the others to push a little harder.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
I believe in being physical in practice. You should run the bases and slide in practice. A lot. Don't bat the full lineup, even when you can -- only bat 9. Always. Carry 11, 12, 13 girls on the team, and be clear about competition for playing time, but also learn how to use your roster in the right situation.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
The concept of extrinsic reward is highly contested, but here is what I have observed: the girls on my DD's 14U team will dive, go for the double play, hustle, basically be as aggressive as possible.... to get a helmet sticker. After the inning they'll go up to the coach and say "coach, did you see that, did you see my dive? Do I get a sticker?" Stickers are only handed out for true sticker-worthiness and the girls are in a competition with eachother to get stickers. Offensively, girls get stickers for RBI's, so teamwork is required - there is no sticker for a solo triple, but the next girl will get one for batting her in.

The key is to set the bar high. Don't give out stickers willie nillie or for being just north of terrible. They'll only be as good as the bar that you set.

Last edited:
I see this during our rec season, girls will do well but just not put in the extra effort because they know nothing is at stake, it's all for fun. Come All Stars everyone around them is very good, if they slack off they no there is no mandatory play rule and they will get put on the bench. They also practice everyday day so they can't rest on the good effort from yesterday because today I get to see them all over again and they know I expect attitude and effort any time they are on the field.

In the end though as others have said I think while extrinsic motivation can be a good thing and work temporarily ultimately if you are not intrinsically motivated you will rarely do your best

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1