Madness 10yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2011
Any thoughts?

[video]http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/themadbatter2/media/20131217_161555_zps8f009fb4.mp4.html[/video]

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Yes...walk this player and pitch to the next 10U.

That's plenty of excellent swing off a tee not to mess with. At least as far as tee work is concerned.

(I am pitching her up and in and low and out and hoping her aggressivenes gets the best of her. In my view great swing)

Dec 20, 2011
Yes...walk this player and pitch to the next 10U.

That's plenty of excellent swing off a tee not to mess with. At least as far as tee work is concerned.

(I am pitching her up and in and low and out and hoping her aggressivenes gets the best of her. In my view great swing)

Thank you. I kept getting the "baseball swing comments" from her fall ball coaches. I will try to get some BP swings up in the next few days. I am looking for something to focus on when we hit. We worked so hard at the end of summer of "letting the ball get deep and going the other way", that I feel that she was letting the ball get too deep middle and middle-in. We have been working more on pulling the ball lately, while trying to stay balanced with being able to drive the ball to the opposite field. Please let me know what you guys think, and don't be afraid to be critical.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Dam photobucket keeps interupting her video on my phone, but I saw one swing. It had a lot of forward movement. My first thought when pitching a girl like that is "change up".
Do you pitch or "chuck" front toss to her? (You should). Pitch her a few fast balls, when you see that proud smile on her face because she is drilling them, throw her some change ups. Really sell it like you are going to whip it in there but just leak it across, see what happens.
Even if she does ok with that, keep it up! My dd gets thrown change ups all the time, it REALLY demoralizes a pitcher and other coaches when she tags em hard...like "walk her next time" bad. That only comes with a lot of hard work and a lot of live pitches or "chuck it" front toss.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
She's 10??!! Holy hell!! There is SOOOO much good going on here.

If anyone tells you that her swing is "too baseball-ish", smile, nod, and file that away in the "he's an idiot" folder. Next time she crushes one (which I suspect is frequently), ask them if it was "too baseball-ish" for their liking.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Thank you. I kept getting the "baseball swing comments" from her fall ball coaches. I will try to get some BP swings up in the next few days. I am looking for something to focus on when we hit. We worked so hard at the end of summer of "letting the ball get deep and going the other way", that I feel that she was letting the ball get too deep middle and middle-in. We have been working more on pulling the ball lately, while trying to stay balanced with being able to drive the ball to the opposite field. Please let me know what you guys think, and don't be afraid to be critical.
There is a lot to like in that swing.

If you are looking to work the inside pitch.
1. Set a tee inside and have her try to go up the middle.
2. Set a tee really inside and have her try to keep the ball fair.
3 & 4 Repeat (1 & 2) with front toss throwing at her front hip.

Dec 20, 2011
Dam photobucket keeps interupting her video on my phone, but I saw one swing. It had a lot of forward movement. My first thought when pitching a girl like that is "change up".
Do you pitch or "chuck" front toss to her? (You should). Pitch her a few fast balls, when you see that proud smile on her face because she is drilling them, throw her some change ups. Really sell it like you are going to whip it in there but just leak it across, see what happens.
Even if she does ok with that, keep it up! My dd gets thrown change ups all the time, it REALLY demoralizes a pitcher and other coaches when she tags em hard...like "walk her next time" bad. That only comes with a lot of hard work and a lot of live pitches or "chuck it" front toss.

We do about 90% front toss when we hit, not much off the tee, and even less off the machine. She doesn't seem to struggle against the change-up to much. She crushes the girl that has the best change-up in our area, because she is able to read it early (always comes out high) and waits until she gets a fastball (won't back it up with another change-up). She seems to be able to get it in play or foul it off with two strikes. I think as she gets older (14U) that she will struggle against girls that have great command of a change-up, because she does seem to struggle now when I really mix it up in front toss. I will get some front toss clips up in the next week. Thank you for your advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad