Low Rise for a Strike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2009
Are ya'll saying a ball thrown with back spin low in the zone will do the same as forward spin? Or do ya'll think it can't be done?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Are ya'll saying a ball thrown with back spin low in the zone will do the same as forward spin? Or do ya'll think it can't be done?

I don't know if I understand your question. But if you throw a ball low in the zone and it has great back spin it will hang and not go down, thereby fooling the hitter. Never seen a girl do it. Cat Osterman uses her low curve ball to complement her drop, which in essence does kinda the same thing.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
GD. and FP...I agree with your sentiment. KenB, I think you should get your eyes checked.
I get that from time to time as a volunteer ump! Wish I hadn't deleted the WCWS from DVR. If I had to guess, I'm thinking Escobedo was one of the pitchers that I thought I saw throw it. Prolly a screw or curve that didn't break?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Hillhouse's talks about the low rise in his new video. It's meant to follow drop balls not necessarily immediately after a drop but later I the game once the batters start laying off the drop

Jul 26, 2010
The low rise is very very common in the mens game. Hopefully Bill or Hal will chime in.

The fastest recorded pitch in the US (by a female) in a fastpitch game was a low rise thrown by Monica Abbot.

"June 16, 2012 - Monica sets new speed Record!

It was just a normal NPF game Saturday night June 16, 2012 the day before Fathers Day in North Carolina. The Chicago Bandits were playing the Carolina Diamonds at their home field in Kannapolis, North Carolina. It was the third game of a four game series. The series was tied at one game a piece. In this game the Bandits were ahead 6-3 when Monica got the call to take the mound in relief. It was the bottom of the sixth inning.

Monica had pitched the previous game on Friday giving the Bandits their first win in the series. In this game the Bandits had jumped out to an early lead and Bandits' pitcher Nicki Nemitz was keeping the Diamonds under control. Monica was not really expecting to go into the game but she is always prepped and ready. In the bottom of the sixth inning the Diamonds staged a potential comeback. The Diamonds scored a run and had two runners on the bases. So Monica got the call when the tying run came to the plate. Of course Monica shut the Diamonds down and saved the game. The Bandits won the game to take the series lead, two games to one. But that's not the rest of the news to paraphrase a well known radio personality.

It was the bottom of the sixth, two outs, two runners on the bases and the tying run batting the count was 0-1. Monica was facing Angeline Quiocho for the Diamonds. For whatever reason Monica chose to throw a low version of her signature rise-ball. And what a pitch it was, perfection. The crowd was in awe another strike then the speed on the big board flashed 77 mph. 77 mph a new personal record for Monica! A new record for Women's Fastpitch.

This new record clearly puts Monica in the books as the fastest USA and possibly the world's woman softball pitcher currently playing. While there is no one source like a women's softball almanac, web searches generally relate the old record as 75 miles per hour."

-W

Dec 7, 2011
At least once a season DD throws a "flat" RB and holy crap can it be crushed. I would be very wary of throwing a low rise to a good hitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad