Looking for input from other bucket dads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Since OILF isn't around to do it I will do it - how about bucket mom's too? I use a pitchers mask like a Rip-It. Don't get the Boombah one though it fits too loosely no matter how you adjust it and flies off too easily if you take a ball in the face - don't ask me how I know.

I was thinking that too about bucket moms. lol
Mine can't throw a rise yet but I took one in the chin when a drop ball took a bad bounce. I wear her fielder's mask now. It's a rip-it.

My apologies to both of you and all other bucket "moms" out there. In this particular family, I doubt DW will handle any more catching for DD. Didn't think about the Rip-It mask. We recently picked up a new black mask for her, so her old white old is just sitting in the garage. I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Jun 12, 2015
I have shin guards too. I can't catch at all for her in the basement anymore. Mine is just low 40s but it's not big enough down there, in addition to the not so great light. We just use a net in the basement.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd get in contact with DDs catcher and hope that she wants to improve her game as well. My DD1 catches DD2 and yes I know we are lucky ;). I talked to DD2 catchers parents and offered them the "opportunity" to get better with her. They both have improved a ton! DD1 has always caught her pitchers and some. When she was 11 she was catching 63mph and now it seems like peanuts to her. But if there's no option and your DD throws hard, then shin guards and mask.

Sent from my

We do this quite often, but honestly, it isn't something I want to give up completely. I enjoy catching for her. Her and her travel ball catcher are very close, so we try to work that out when we can. But she lives 30 minutes away, so it isn't always feasible. Her high school catcher will also help out sometimes but she is a senior while DD is a sophomore, so they tend to travel in different circles making it hard to coordinate at times. I agree that having the pitcher and catcher work together is a great thing, but I value whatever time I have handling that role.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
An umpires mask should do the trick and will be less bulky to carry around than a catchers mask. You could also use a Rip-It or similar type pitching mask, but an umpires mask will have a lot more padding and do a better job of preventing injury. Umpire masks are designed to take multiple hits, while a pitchers mask is designed for comfort and is not expected to be hit on a regular basis, and if it is the player wearing it should consider changing positions....

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
We do this quite often, but honestly, it isn't something I want to give up completely. I enjoy catching for her. Her and her travel ball catcher are very close, so we try to work that out when we can. But she lives 30 minutes away, so it isn't always feasible. Her high school catcher will also help out sometimes but she is a senior while DD is a sophomore, so they tend to travel in different circles making it hard to coordinate at times. I agree that having the pitcher and catcher work together is a great thing, but I value whatever time I have handling that role.

I totally understand what you mean. That precious time we have left with our DDs flys right passed us.

Sent from my

Feb 7, 2013
Umpire's mask, shin guards, and steel toed boots...I'm less worried about riseballs than I am about drop balls in the dirt :)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish