Looking for feedback on mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2014
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I really appreciate it. I notice she likes to turn her push off foot slightly. Do you think that could be a potential problem? If I remember correct in javas drive mechanics thread the push foot could have a slight turn and be ok. Yes I'm very proud of her. Pitching can be quite the journey.

Dec 4, 2013
Holy fast twitch muscle fibers, I think she is a pretty impressive athlete. When Java or BM comment do whatever they say and I think you are going to have something special...

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I really appreciate it. I notice she likes to turn her push off foot slightly. Do you think that could be a potential problem? If I remember correct in javas drive mechanics thread the push foot could have a slight turn and be ok. Yes I'm very proud of her. Pitching can be quite the journey.

No, it's not a problem at all. In fact, if done in a proper "sprinter start", it is a huge benefit. She is right on the cusp. Work on that sprinter start. It will help alleviate some of that rotational energy she has working against her in the top half. Go back and re-read Java's Drive Mechanics thread. Sometimes re-reading things helps the light bulb to come on. At least it does for me. Best of luck!

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I enjoy her glove side. She stabilizes her glove side upper arm and allows her entire body to work together. She does a real good job of setting her hips in the beginning, but seems to lose that togetherness directly prior to driving out. That is just a small drive mech issue that I feel is brought on by collapsing her drive foot some and allowing some rotation in her lower back. Does she feel like she is pushing with her quads vs driving with her backside would be my only question to ask her.

Just my opinion.

tob_zpsf40e5bff.png

is it possible to achieve the 2nd pitcher's posture while remaining legal??

there is no way that both feet are touching the plate

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
She looks really, really good. Seems like she is at the stage where improving spin rates is more important than mechanical tweaks to a really good motion, assuming her speed is what it seems (mid 60s?). Or possibly making tweaks to the motion to enable a spin she is having trouble with (if there are any). Can she throw a good rise/drop/curve/CU?

Mar 26, 2014
She looks really, really good. Seems like she is at the stage where improving spin rates is more important than mechanical tweaks to a really good motion, assuming her speed is what it seems (mid 60s?). Or possibly making tweaks to the motion to enable a spin she is having trouble with (if there are any). Can she throw a good rise/drop/curve/CU?

She can throw a good drop and rise but can have some inconsistencies on the rise. She has good spin speed but fastball speed can be inconsistent and the ball wants to go high and right which i believe is from to much rotation of the body which was stated earlier. I wish we were in the mid 60's but the fastest we have clocked is 57 with a pocket radar but some have felt faster when catching. Thanks for all the input I appreciate it.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
if the video is in real time then she is not throwing 57 unless she was throwing from a short distance there. The sound of her release to the glove snap is really fast. If you really want to know the out of hand speed (top speed) try getting her gunned with a JUGGS gun or Stalker, the pocket radar (the older one anyway- I hear the new ball coach version is better) and Bushnell guns are not great for top speed measurements IMO. Maybe not mid sixties but I will bet you a sody pop she is cracking 60.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Joe,

Ubersense never works well for me... and for whatever reason the gif's knight loaded aren't rendering in kinovea... but a little work and I'm able to view this in photoshop. Here's what I see... remember... this is just one way; my way. I like to simplify motions... so the athlete can maximize them.

1) She transfers weight back... too far back. The head shouldn't get over the rear leg. Instead, during the transfer... she should start her lean. Going back into a static position negates the negative move.

2) The lack of lean EARLY... prevents her from reaching the sprinters position by top of backswing... as she has no forward momentum to stretch the hamstring muscle of that leg.

3) That lack of forward momentum (lack of early lean), really wreaks havoc on her drive foot. She's pushing from the rubber with a flat foot.... like we walk. Show her how to lean as part of the backswing... so that this overlapping momentum has her sprinting (forefoot strike against the rubber... no heel touch).

4) Backswing into extension at the elbow. As a result... she's T-Rexing the front side of her circle (short arms)... and her front side timing is off. Flexion in the elbow is created overtop... or should be... not out front.

5) Take the EXTENSION out of her wrist on the upswing. It's causing her elbow to recess some... and directly relates to her wiping the wall over the top of the circle. Light flexion (dangling the ball) creates a different sequence, and will enable her to better 'Show-It'.

6) Fixing the lean/forefoot striking pattern... will create overlap... and allow her DRIVE KNEE to reach extension BEFORE her STRIDE KNEE. Because this is not the case now... she's not getting off the rubber soon enough... which further exacerbates the zombie leg staying behind.

7) Was she trying to throw a drop or FB? The spin you impart on a drop ball/FB requires that you complete the articulation that takes place in the forearm, called PRONATION. In other words, it appears she's holding back that motion... until the ball is completely gone. Let the forearm continue through in this fashion:

2mha0cn.gif

7 Things... 8 weeks. ;) I'd love to see an update... she's already pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1