Looking for feedback on mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2014
Looking for some advise on what to work on or fine tune. I would like for her to get in a little better sprinters position on the drive. I think it would also be beneficial for her to bring her drive leg forward and finish more knee to knee. Any comments and criticisms are welcome just a bucket dad trying to help his kid and not hurt her performance.
http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/C6RITjIp?e=1592786

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
She's well on her way!

I think she needs to get the throwing arm longer/straighter as it passes the thigh coming forward just after the back-swing, and keep it longer going up the front side, and get the elbow of that arm to start leading just prior to passing the glove arm, but not excessive bend over the top, and lead with that elbow all the way to the hip. I think it will help get a more loosy-goosy arm-whip.

And, I agree with you on working on getting a better sprinter's drive off the plate--staying more square to the catcher to initiate the drive. The explosiveness of the drive will/should pop her open. She's trying to get open a bit even before she actually drives out.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
I'm sure she throws the ball pretty hard right now but with a few tweaks from the experts here on the board and I'm guessing she could be throwing very hard. She looks very athletic and she doesn't look like she's afraid to go all out while practicing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is an easy way for her to pick up 2MPH or so. She is also stepping forward with her right foot after she throws. She needs to leave her right foot behind her left foot.

Here is a video of Cat Osterman. She is a lefty. Notice how her left foot stays behind her right after she throws. Then, compare that to your DD.

[video=youtube_share;7LqYXr98HA8]http://youtu.be/7LqYXr98HA8[/video]

Mar 26, 2014
Thanks for the comments guys. She does work hard at it it and takes it pretty serious. I just like to have other eyes look at her and see maybe something we are not.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Here's my .02. And I state this with the best of intentions to have a civil discourse for sake of improvement. I'm not suggesting what I see is wrong, just what I see.

Up until the point of release the motion looks pretty good. Shoulders and hips are in good alignment, and overall timing looks good. She's in a great position to throw a pitch. And it's obvious she is trying to really throw really hard. The one thing I would point out is the position of her free hand, the direction of travel, and to where it is pointed. (Cause or effect?)
before release.jpg

Here she is just after the release. Notice the hip and shoulder alignment. And as someone previously stated, her right leg comes around instead of going "into" the pitch. Additionally, note the position of her elbow (flying outward). Someone else stated "I think she needs to get the throwing arm longer/straighter as it passes the thigh coming forward just after the back-swing" and I would agree.
just after release.jpg

The girl is generating a lot of enegy, but a lot of it is rotational. From the free hand flying outward, the pitching hand (elbow) flying outward, and finally her back leg rotating around her planted leg instead of into it. Ideally, she'd plant and all the energy generated would go more directly into the pitch towards the target. In order to do this, she'd have to reposition her free hand, drive her legs together, have her shoulders back and maintain better shoulder/hip alignment (longer) which would allow her arm to come closer to the hip to generate energy that is less rotational and more directional.

I'll shut up now and leave it to others for suggestions to what they see.

Jun 18, 2010
joek2_zpscwiw0gyf.gif

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She looks great and you should be proud!

My $0.02....based on the slow motion video and assuming the pitch is a fastball.
1) I personally prefer a little more back swing and like my DD to get closer to 9 o'clock
2) Her glove hand appears to "swim" a little.
3) Her push leg needs to drive into her plant leg to maximize power.
4) A little elbow bend is good, but I think she may have a little more "bend" than ideal.
5) Fix the leg drive and she should see a pitch speed increase of 3-5 MPH.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877