Long day tomorrow , what to feed them?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Our tournament got rained out today so the tournament director decided to have all games played tomorrow . We will play a minimum of 4 games with 6 needed to win it . Trying to figure out what we need to feed the girls tomorrow to get them through the day . Warm ups start at 6:50 with what looks to be back to back games through the whole day .

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We are looking at 5 games tomorrow. 3 today, it is 92 here in ia right now and prob 90% humidity. Suppose to be warmer tomorrow.

My dw was a dietian when she worked, so she plans these things out for dd. This morning she had an eggo waffle and banana. Before first game she ate another banana. Dw has tubs packed with grapes and strawberries for constant grazing. Dd had half a ham sandwich after game one the other half after game two.
My thing is hydration. I used to cycle and raced 100+ mile races and learned to rotate sports drinks and water. Small frequent drinks even when they're not thirsty. Dd has a big water jug and smaller clear water bottle so I can monitor that she is drinking. She won't drink if I am not hounding her, my rule is first thing you do everytime you walk into the dug out is get a drink, thirsty or not.

Now for 3/4 of the rest of the team.... Fried cheese curds, hot dog, nachos, coke heavy and repeat. I suggest every weekend that one junk item like a burger or dog from the stand is ok, but no pigging out. It does no good! Parents are stuffing them. I dont want them to be self oh whatever about their weight, but as my wife says "softball players are athletes too! Take care of yourself!"

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Can you bring food in? Or do you need to go out to the cars to eat? If you can, how many coolers can you bring in? Coolers aren't allowed, here. But, I can remember what the team mom used to bring. Grapes, orange slices, hard bread, pepperoni, apples, strawberries, etc. I know what you don't want - donuts, nachos, hot dogs, better than I know what you need. I do remember that we cut the gatoraide, with 50% water. Good luck. 6 games, oh yeah.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Thankfully its at a city park with no concessions other than a couple ladies with a BBQ Grill so we can bring whatever we want . I have a cooler full of drinks as well as sandwich making stuff . I also have a cooler full of Clif Bars , fruit snacks , cracker snacks and string cheese . Some of the other parents are going to bring some fruit and bagels . I am thinking lots of little meals as it seems when they sit down and eat a whole meal it really slows them down . Thankfully its only supposed to be in the low 70's tomorrow . I think that when the temperature increases I am going to suggest tortilla wraps intead of sandwiches on bread as I know when I used to Mountain bike I liked more lean protien and less carbs when it was hot out .

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Sounds like you have a good plan.

I always try to get the kids to eat some nutella toast in the morning to....well that's more so my wife doesn't blam me for eating it by the jar.

Jul 9, 2010
My secret weapon was Pedialyte (generic store brand to save some money).

I've seen that raise many kids from the dead on hot, long, FL summer days.

Dec 28, 2011
Here in AZ, DDs team typically plays 6-7 games a weekend in extreme heat (winters are great, though!). Our main concern here is hydration (and sunscreen). DD drinks lots of water anyway, but must start on a Thursday and double up her drinking. Makes a huge difference in how they handle the heat. We always bring fruit (watermelon, grapes, apples, oranges), granola bars, and try to keep the meals to a turkey sand or bagel with PB. Fried foods are a no-no, and of course no sodas. We try for a high protein breakfast, and carbs the night before. Another big help is Emergen-C (think thats what its called) that you can add to water or Gatorade. Really picks them up fast when they are wilting.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
On top of everything else:

Bananas.

I swear our team ate 80 of these this weekend.

There was at least two runs to the local groceries to buy more.