Location Drills for High School Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 12, 2015
So my main goal with my pitchers here is location location location.....So I reaching out to all to get some great ideas for different location drill that I can put to work with my pitchers.So anyone that would be willing to share there favorite location drills with me I would greatly appreciate it videos of the drill would be awesome!!!Thanks so much for your support it is greatly appreciated!!! Eric

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2013
One of the drills that I have always done with my pitchers if what I call "sequences". If you are working with two or more pitchers, have one of them stand in the batters box (they are not swinging) to simulate an at-bat. The pitcher will use her repertoire of pitches to strikeout the batter. You keep track of the pitch count and she either strikes out the batter or walks her. For example, the first pitch is an inside screwball. The pitcher has to hit that location or it's a ball. The next pitch could be an outside changeup for a strike. The count is now 1-1, etc. You do this drill until you strikeout 5 batters. Then switch pitchers. Not only does this simulate a live at bat, forces them to hit their locations, but it gets the pitcher to work on what pitches they should call with what pitch count.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
We play pig or horse quite a bit, just like in basketball. Call your shot, hit it.... If your opponents miss that shot, they'll get a letter .... To increase the realistic factor, the catcher must stick and frame. If the catcher drops it or doesn't stick it, the pitch is no good! And I don't care if it was absolutely perfect, gotta work as a team

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Just for fun, no catcher, you can use balls on a tee (try and find a tee that goes down to 20 inches or so) and play different games. Put a softball (could warm up with a small size 3 soccer ball, most should be able to do this) on a tee at different locations and try and hit it off the tee, with this game you can even put the ball in the river or barely touching black. Then you can play this game in reverse my favorite is put a basketball dead center in the strike zone, pitchers have to throw strikes WITHOUT hitting the basketball.

Sep 29, 2014
Could try this too, they can use this as a personal metric, maybe after each pitching lesson then look to being the average down throughout the year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom