Little League pitcher substitution/re-entry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I disagree with their interpretation that a sub can't come back as a pitcher if she doesn't remain on the field when taken out, but I would need a full rule book to check. Just because there is a specific rule about reentry as a pitcher within an inning if moved to a defensive position, doesn't automatically mean the opposite situation (taken out as a sub) is not allowed. I know the rule was written as it was to deal with Continual Batting Order (i.e. everyone bats, but they wanted to stop people resting their pitcher on the bench even though you still kept their bat in the line up and had the option to bring them back to pitch rested.)

Let me see if I can find one.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I disagree with their interpretation that a sub can't come back as a pitcher if she doesn't remain on the field when taken out, but I would need a full rule book to check. Just because there is a specific rule about reentry as a pitcher within an inning if moved to a defensive position, doesn't automatically mean the opposite situation (taken out as a sub) is not allowed. I know the rule was written as it was to deal with Continual Batting Order (i.e. everyone bats, but they wanted to stop people resting their pitcher on the bench even though you still kept their bat in the line up and had the option to bring them back to pitch rested.)

Let me see if I can find one.

LL is a pain in the butt... because they wrote their own reentry rule for baseball and specified that pitchers CAN NOT be subbed out and then re-enter as pitchers (rule 3.03 for baseball) it is very possible that it made its way into the softball rule book as well.

LL rulebook is a total mess. It needs to be rewritten from scratch - not just modified and edited.