Lineup. Big gap in talent.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2012
In the past I have loaded the beginning of my lineup and hoped for the best with the 7-8-9 hitters. Gets the best hitters the most at bats. However, this year, I have a HUGE jump in girls skill level. 1-4 are travel ball worthy, 5-7 are decent, and 8-12 are rough. Like 3 have never played and have no athleticism kinda rough.

Do most still recommend the load at the top of the lineup approach and just consider inning no. 2 a loss or would I be better served to stagger the good and the bad somewhat?

I think I know the answer is to load up the top, but I thought I would get others' opinions.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you put your worst batters at 7-8-9 you are setting youself up for a 1-2-3 out inning....sometimes it is better to spread out the weak hitters, especially if they are capable of laying down a bunt to advance runners, ect.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I want to put some stress on the defense every inning. How many innings have you seen just explode by getting that 1st runner on base? Average hitters can look a lot better with a runner on base. I like spreading the talent in the lineup so the defense does not have any free innings.

The other side is that if you know it is going to be a low scoring game stack your lineup and cross your figures. Just give up on some innings.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Rec or Travel ball? What age group?

Rec spread them out and hope for some walks. Give your really rough ones a chance to bat in the 1st inning once in a while surrounding them by your better hitters. Hitting is contageous and some time it rubs off on a girl.

And if rec I assume you bat the whole lineup? If so try not to have the same 4 girls bat 9-12, they tend to get discouraged.

If travel ball, stack your lineup.

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for your replies. Sounds like everyone else is just as conflicted as I am. :)
.. But its a decision between winning and hoping

I'll try both and see what happens.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
In my view, every position in the lineup has a purpose, and the #9 batter (or last batter in leagues where you bat the lineup), is NOT one of your weakest batters. It is the batter who probably needs to see good pitches to hit, but has a high OBP and some speed so that when the bottom of the lineup comes up, I have a good chance of getting a runner on and then advancing them with the top of the order. #8 is going to be the batter I want to bury. If I have more than 1 batter I want to hide, then I'm comparing them to who my "weaker normal" batters are. If it makes sense to bury one in the #6 spot, then I'll consider it, but 1-5 (imo) are the players you want to see have that chance at an extra at bat.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
I agree Osric -- 8 is the best place for the worst hitter, and if you have a tie for that honor, pick the the faster, better baserunner for 9 - don't want to clog the bases ahead of the top of the order.

Actually, there's a discussion about the top of the order as well -- where does your best batter hit? I used to be of the opinion that they should hit third -- but I actually like having my "worst best hitter" at 3. A lot of line-up modeling says that 1, 2, 4, and 5 are more important spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1