Like?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I haven't seen anyone that talks about riding the back leg do it like Babe. Everyone who does it ends up literally riding the back leg from catcher to pitcher. They miss the sagittal piece completely.

Fair enough. I guess I just have a different way of looking at it. Not the first time I have been accused of that :)

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I agree. The barrel, etc. is assisting with the dynamic balance during the move out. But, I would contend that this can also be "riding the rear leg". "Riding the rear leg" can mean different things if you look at it figuratively or literally. It's all in how you interpret it. There are various "styles" that can be used while remaining sagittal with the overall motion.

FP26, my experience has been most folks riding the rear leg becomes more about momentum in the frontal plane which tends to throw the movement out of sequence/balance.. I find it much easier transitioning from the S-plane into the frontal vs the other way around... It also allows for the hitters to maintain a stacked/balanced position while allowing both legs to be the supporters.. Most folks that use the rear leg as their primary movement tend to stay over the rear leg.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26, my experience has been most folks riding the rear leg becomes more about momentum in the frontal plane which tends to throw the movement out of sequence/balance.. I find it much easier transitioning from the S-plane into the frontal vs the other way around... It also allows for the hitters to maintain a stacked/balanced position while allowing both legs to be the supporters.. Most folks that use the rear leg as their primary movement tend to stay over the rear leg.

The bold above would definitely be a concern. I agree completely. Getting back to the Babe clip. You utilized the term "tall and fall". Let's focus on the "fall" part. Is Babe free-falling? Or is it a controlled fall? Is he utilizing the fall as a timing mechanism? Personally, I see momentum based movement as more of a free-fall. And, yes, not exactly what we are looking for. A controlled fall is quite different. In a controlled fall there are obviously several things that are happening at the same point in time. In addition to the normal things that the members here will debate, there are other muscle groups firing and relaxing. Let's take a gif that is very familiar... Whether we are standing, squatting, lunging, etc. our quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes (among other things) are firing, relaxing, and balancing each other to help control the movement. I believe these things work together with the hip flexion and extension (and obviously the core is highly involved as well). All important parts of the overall equation.

Take these things and look at it through the whole distal vs. proximal argument. I believe most of us are in agreement that the true control is proximal in nature (please correct me if I am wrong), but in my opinion, many young hitters have trouble understanding that viewpoint. Using distal wording can be easier for them to understand, and could result in the movement you are looking for as a happy by-product.

t7y4qd.jpg

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
FP26, I agree.. I hope at least with all the sagittal talk people will start looking at stretching/loading within the s-plane to balance out the momentum.. Bottom line there needs to be balance within the movement...

Like I have said numerous times already if one learns to move within the S-plane the coil/legs tends to take car of themselves.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
FP26, I agree.. I hope at least with all the sagittal talk people will start looking at stretching/loading within the s-plane to balance out the momentum.. Bottom line there needs to be balance within the movement...

Like I have said numerous times already if one learns to move within the S-plane the coil/legs tends to take car of themselves.

How wide is your sagital plane? and can/or does the sagital plane move during the swing?
sagittal.jpg

screen-shot-2012-04-21-at-2-47-57-pm.png

https://kirankanwargolf.wordpress.com/mgs-at-the-world-congress-of-golf/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA