Like?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Ride the back leg works but that would not be sagittal action - you need the left side of your lower body (left hip) to truly swing sagittally (new word!). Riding the back leg is still frontal action.

Oh and before anyone gets their panties in a bunch - this doesn't mean the front foot is on the ground - a great amount of the swing is done with the front foot off the ground, but the front hip is engaged and not just acted upon.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Howe/Chap has giving me some help:
6r7uig.jpg

I would have you practice what Babe is doing. Start out with a narrow stance, rear foot turned away and front foot aligned to that. Learn to move the middle and hold the hands and knee back. By keeping the hands back, you'll get your wanted scap move. By keeping the knee back, the rear hip is going to actually do what it's supposed to do. I'm talking about spacial awareness. I'm not talking about taking things back or clamping this/that. You lose natural athleticism when you do that. And remember, you have a front side too.... That's your simple explanation.
CD_zpsfleeimlm.gif

Staying back and stretching it forward. Big difference from pulling back and moving everything forward.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
butter / tds - Do you consider this swinging "sagitally"? I like your new word :) Is Babe riding his rear leg?

FP26, yes Babe is moving out and swinging sagittaly. the weight of the barrel helps him move out while working it in the s-plane. Back in the day some would call this move out "tall and fall"..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26, yes Babe is moving out and swinging sagittaly. the weight of the barrel helps him move out while working it in the s-plane. Back in the day some would call this move out "tall and fall"..

I agree. The barrel, etc. is assisting with the dynamic balance during the move out. But, I would contend that this can also be "riding the rear leg". "Riding the rear leg" can mean different things if you look at it figuratively or literally. It's all in how you interpret it. There are various "styles" that can be used while remaining sagittal with the overall motion.

May 3, 2014
I haven't seen anyone that talks about riding the back leg do it like Babe. Everyone who does it ends up literally riding the back leg from catcher to pitcher. They miss the sagittal piece completely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA