Legal position in the batter's box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So I guess the ump asking girls three or four times to get in the box then when the girl does not pointing to the pitcher to pitch then calling a strike on anything thrown, is not exactly the correct way to handle this situation.

Might be me misremembering things but seems like Ive seen this once or twice from a frustrated ump.

Ludicrous since you cannot have a pitch without the batter starting completely within the BB. And what happens if the batter puts the ball into play?

The umpire doesn't need the pitcher to pitch. The umpire should continue to hold up the pitcher as long as the batter is not in the BB. The umpire then rules a strike (while still holding up the pitcher) for each 10 second period the batter fails to comply.

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
So I guess the ump asking girls three or four times to get in the box then when the girl does not pointing to the pitcher to pitch then calling a strike on anything thrown, is not exactly the correct way to handle this situation.

no pitch needs to be thrown. ask her to get her foot in the box, ask again, "thats one strike on the batter".
Repeat.

Nov 8, 2014
The most glaring disregard for the rules I have seen from umpires is allowing a batter's foot to be closer than 6 inches to the plate. I see players crowd the plate with their toes 2 inches from the plate and the plate ump says nothing. I say "batters box" pre-pitch and nothing changes on ensuing pitches.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The most glaring disregard for the rules I have seen from umpires is allowing a batter's foot to be closer than 6 inches to the plate. I see players crowd the plate with their toes 2 inches from the plate and the plate ump says nothing. I say "batters box" pre-pitch and nothing changes on ensuing pitches.

I agree there are too many umpires ignoring this at all age levels, FP & SP. I've never had a problem moving the batter off the plate. And it really gets their attention when I ring up a strike because they want to play some type of game to see what they can get away with.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I tell every batter I see that's too close to the plate to get back in the box. I've never had one refuse, but I have had some coaches get snippy with the old, "Why are you talking to my player? Talk to me if you have a problem". Sorry, I'll to to whomever I think that I need to talk to in order to administor the game.

I also address it whenever a pitcher fails to have her hands separated as required before the pitch, when batters try to use the opposite side on-deck circle, when batters want to get right up around the plate area while a pitcher warms up, and batters keeping one foot inside the box in between pitches. All things in the rul book, and all things that when I enforce them people act like they've never heard of it before! Which leads me to believe not too many umpires really bother to enforce this stuff.

Nov 22, 2012
can your foot be touching the line of the batters box before the pitch is thrown and still be considered "within"?

Jun 22, 2008
The foot can be on the line, but no portion of the foot may extend beyond any of the lines.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish