Leaving our team!!??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
If it is really a better team then explain it as marriard siad. "This is an opportunity to see better competition and prepare her for getting seen by college coaches and will just make her a better player come HS season.

now if this is your current TB clubs main rival and your current club is always losing to them but your current team still does well and Coach has guided half the current team to play in college it is going to be a harder sell...which why I'm always assuming as Paul Harvey (and SB45 hinted at) would say "the rest of the story"

If this is completely just moving on to a better club and there are no current hard feelings things could work out just fine...but no matter what I would be up front with the coach and let them know as soon as you can...Even mention that to the coach "we wanted to make sure and tell you as soon as we could so you would have time to fill her spot with one of the players from tryouts"

Aug 30, 2015
In our state, high school coaches aren't allowed to coach TB teams with any of their high school players on it or vice-versa. That's good.

The situation the OP finds himself in would be a situation where this rule serves all parties very well.

Feb 7, 2013
I'm not sure why we feel the need to beat around the bush when leaving a team. Be straight up with the coach, I think most coaches can handle it and might appreciate the honest feedback.

One thing that I did notice is you say "DD and I are leaving the organization" and you also say "Leaving our team". Last I checked, my DD plays on "her" team, not mine.

Jun 12, 2015
I sometimes use we/us/our pronouns about softball. I don't mean it like I'm somehow vicariously playing, I think it just comes out that way sometimes when you spend 8 bazillion dollars and even more hours invested in a team. Even when it's your kid playing and not you, it feels like "our" team, in a way.

Jun 18, 2016
Thanks to all for your great advice!!! At this point we are going to take one day at a time and hopefully this will be behind us soon..

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
1. Who wants to leave the team? you or DD-(it is a bit murky) what does DD have to say?.

2. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side, sometimes we find the reason is
that the grass is actually artificial. Once 16U begins, the game is not as much a social
event as the players play hard and the majority continue to play with aspirations of playing in college.
They can have fun (softball is still a game), but the collective team focus changes.

3. How many times have you changed teams looking for the right fit? Sometimes as a parent
it is difficult to be objective regarding the coaching, team mates, overall quality of talent on current team
and most importantly your DD's talent level regarding her primary/secondary positions and the need
on the 'new' team at her position. If she plays 3B and there are already 2 girls at this position, what does your future hold?

4. Was she invited to play on the new team or did you/she seek it out? Who initiated the conversation? (You? DD? Coach?)

5. What is the reputation, comparatively speaking of each team in regards to putting players in front of the
college coaches of choice. Is one team's focus primarily on winning nationals vs a true 'showcase' team?
Or does one excel at both? Have you spoken to players who play or have played in the new organization
to get their thoughts?

There are some tough questions that require a bit of soul searching. Regardless of what you decide, DD
has a commitment to her current team for the remainder of the fall season and she needs to give 100% to the current
organization before making a move. I understand you are at a crossroads of sorts and once players are in High School,
the window closes quickly, so make sure the new team is, in fact, the promised land. The softball community gets smaller as girls
grow older so I advise against doing anything in haste. No one on DFP is calling you out, but many of us with older girls of college
age+ or with coaching experience on high level travel teams present pointed questions that need to be internalized before
you render a decision as there are no 'take backs'. In any event, 100% honesty with HS coach is a priority.

Best of luck to you and your DD and family.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi