Launch, project, contact and follow through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2011
Just wondering if anyone can advise the psychology of getting young batters to swing. It finally dawned on me that the girls were merely waiting for their mind to tell them the pitch was good, then swing. This creates too many problems. Mostly swinging late or worse, not swinging at all. Very young batters do not understand that a swing that does not cross the plate is not a strike. This leads me to wonder about the mindset and sequence of swinging. If we can get the girls to #1, believe in their ability, assume the pitch will be hitable, and launch the bat every time. They will improve their odds of hitting. They simply need to understand that they can stop the swing when they determine the ball is un-hitable and before the bat crosses the plate. Does anyone want to improve on my thoughts or add additional advice? What is the perfect launch? Where is the ball at when the launch is executed? What drills would be specific to this idea?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Go to "model swings" thread on technical hitting. Have them watch slo mo video from center field view and point out that most batters are starting to load and toe touch when the pitchers arm is around the 12:00 position.

Tell them to be starting on every pitch, and hit the brakes on the pitches they don't want. Repeat this about 1000 times for a month, and a couple of the girls will catch on.

Until they figure it out, make them swing light bats and work on fast swing speed to catch up from their late decision making.

You must also not say anything, or show any disappointment about them swinging at bad pitches. A girls we were working with swung at a face high pitch, dad scolds her from stands, she then looks at next two strikes go by.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just wondering if anyone can advise the psychology of getting young batters to swing. It finally dawned on me that the girls were merely waiting for their mind to tell them the pitch was good, then swing. This creates too many problems. Mostly swinging late or worse, not swinging at all. Very young batters do not understand that a swing that does not cross the plate is not a strike. This leads me to wonder about the mindset and sequence of swinging.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
There are some drills that address this. One is a tee drill where the hitter hits the ball off the tee unless the coach says "ball" at the point that the hitter is loaded at the launch position. It's important that the hitter doesn't guess but only thinks hit every swing off the tee. The coach should let the player hit a few in a row before saying "ball". Mix it up and be unpredictable so that the hitter develops the ability to be aggressive every pitch with the ability to shut their swing down when the pitch is out of the zone. Hit until your eyes tell you to shut it down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd