Late player arrival

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Im assuming you are complaining because a player showed up late for the other team and was allowed to play? No offense, but a player showing up late in a game did not cause you to lose the game. And for that matter, players can be added to the lineup card at any time as long as they are rostered players for the team. Now, if the coach had been smart and knew the player may be showing up late he should have just gone ahead and put her on the lineup card to start with. But, nothing prevents a player from being added after the game has started.

This is one of the most misunderstood points and thank you for making it!

Jun 19, 2014
This sounds like a parent issue since the player is 12 and is not in control of her transportation. We run into this issue frequently, and we can't blame the players for the parents poor time management. Other parents step up and offer rides to players of those chronic 'late' parents.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I believe that in ASA you cannot add players to the sub list, in USSSA you can.

The question has already been answered, yes ASA does allow players to be added to the lineup. I am not aware of any rule set which does not allow eligible players to be added to the lineup card after the game starts.

Jun 11, 2013
I wish OP would give details, but I would like to understand the mind set of the player's family. Wow the game started at 2 and it's now 4:30. Why not drive over and see if it's still going on and get in for an inning or 2.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Sorry it's NCAA, subs cannot be added once the card is accepted by the umpire. NFHS has a penalty for a change to the lineup card. Warning for the first offense, head coach restricted to the bench for the second offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi