Injured player/PGF rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
We played a PGF tourney this weekend - where they mostly go by HS rules but add in some additional exceptions regarding allowing 11 batters.
We had 10 in our lineup - batting all - sitting pitchers rest until we needed them.
One of our pitchers got hurt during the game and was able to bat once while she was hurt but by the 6th inning she wasn't doing well. She was not due up for a while but our coach told the umps and other team that we'd be taking her out of the lineup - we'd have 9 batting.
Other coach yelled about it - saying it'd be an automatic out. I guess it was the head ump of the day (we were the last game of the tourney so there's weren't many officials left) that came and said - no they just skip the batter and no out - she's injured. And the other coach argued forever regarding HS rules.
Even though in the PGF rules, it specifically says - if you don't have a sub for an injured player, you skip the batter. An out is only enforced when you drop below 9.
It got argued some more and we told them she isn't even up to bat this inning..
It turned out she was our last batter to bat in the 7th - she did come up to bat and bunted since that's all she could do - got out - game over. By that time we were down and skipping her would not have really given us any advantage but we still felt horrible having to bat her - she could have just sat and took the out to end the game. Nice way to end championship game ;)

Who is right? I've never been in this situation in travel before but in rec, we always let the girl sit and did not give them an out if we had to take them out of the lineup. And it's always been a discussion between coaches whether the below 9 rule applies (again only in rec).

I did msg the tournament people and ask about it and they said since we were batting 10 we had to take the out - which directly contradicts the being able to skip a batter if they are injured. The most annoying thing was that the head ump was arguing against the coach but he said it's in the HS rules - which it can be but PGF has specific rules for them as well.
I get it's championship game and you want to win at all costs but making an injured girl bat just seems a little ridiculous.

May 29, 2015
I haven’t worked PGF, but I suspect the answer is already in what you posted.

There is no high school rule allowing you to bat more than nine players, so any argument based on NFHS rules is null and void when batting (up to) your roster.

My op-ed contribution: This is what happens when tournaments start tweaking rules. Coaches don’t read the notes you sent them; umpires don’t even receive them; and then nobody knows what is happening. Just play by the book and stop it already.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi