Last batted out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
We played a UTrip tournament recently and batted the whole lineup. When the P or C got on they allowed a courtesy runner which was last batted out.

If in my 3rd inning I had the following

2nd hitter grounds our 4-3
3rd hitter grounds out 5-3
4th hitter hits a single
5th hitter grounds into a FC 6-4 to end the inning

I get into the following inning
6th hitter singles gets caught stealing
7th hitter hits a double and is the pitcher

Who is the correct courtesy runner.

Whi

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I do not know USSSA rules, but if the 6th batter is sitting in the dugout at the time the 7th batter, the pitcher, gets on base, that is who I would use. If 6th batter is on base, go to #5, ect. When we fill out our line up we always try to put a fast runner in front of our pitcher and catcher to use as a courtesy in tournaments where we bat everyone.

Jun 11, 2013
If you put the wrong person in and get called on it it's an out. Truthfully we don't even really care what the other teams does so they could put anyone they want in, but it gets confusing. Most tournaments we play in just say last out runs so it's much easier.
We actually play one local ASA group that allows you courtesy run for any play any time but the runner can only do it once an inning.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
None of the rules being discussed here are actual rules outlined in any of the sanctioning body's rule books. They're modifications unique to whomever is running the league or tournament. As such, only they could tell you how exactly it is they want these special rules interpreted.

Apr 26, 2012
It's the 5th batter. The 6th wasn't a batted out it was a hit with a stolen base. If you don't feel comfortable with who you think it is, call time and get the approval from the other coach. They then cannot question later as he or she approved it.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It's the 5th batter.

But the 5th batter didn't make an out. How can they be "the last batted out" if they didn't make one?

What if:

B3 strikes out.

B4 singles.

B5 Hits into 6-4 FC.

B6 is the pitcher. She walks.

Now, who is the courtesy runner? If you still think it's B5...how do you account for the fact that B5 is now standing on second base?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Last batted out or last recorded out? Have not perused the rulebooks lately but I thought it was last recorded out for courtesy runner (or someone not in game) and last batted out for a tiebreaker.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Page 45 from 2013 USSSA Fastpitch Rule Book

Sec 3. COURTESY RUNNER
A. The team at bat may use a courtesy runner for the pitcher and/or catcher
any time after they reach base other than by substitution. The same
runner may not be used for both positions in the same inning. Neither the
pitcher nor the catcher will be required to leave under such circumstances
B. Players who have participated in the game in any other capacity are not
entitled to serve as a courtesy runner
PENALTY: A player who is not entitled to be a courtesy runner who is
used as a courtesy runner shall immediately be called out and a team
warning issued. On the second offense, the head coach is ejected for the
remainder of game only.
C. A runner put in for any player other than the pitcher or catcher will be
considered a substitute player.
D. A player may not run as a courtesy runner and be used as a substitute for
another player in that half inning.
EXCEPTION: Unless there is an injury and there is no substitute
available, the courtesy runner must be used as a substitute and take the
place of the injured player. Should the courtesy runner be on base, the
pitcher or catcher for whom the courtesy runner is running must run in
their place.
E. Once a courtesy runner is designated for that half inning, no other
courtesy runner or the pitcher or catcher may return to run for the original
courtesy runner. Should an injury occur, another courtesy runner or the
pitcher or catcher may run until they score or are put out.
F. The courtesy runner is not permitted to be used for the DP unless the DP
is the pitcher or catcher of record.
PENALTY Unreported courtesy runner: An unreported courtesy runner is
treated the same as an unreported substitute. The team is warned and further
violations result in the ejection of the coach.

However, it is possible that the TD has adopted a different rule for the tournament.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think that "last recorded out" only applies for NSA softball. None of the other sanctioning bodies I'm aware of use last batted or last recorded out for courtesy runners. They all use a bench player who currently isn't in the game, or some variation of that.

Of course, when you bat the entire line-up (another rule that doesn't appear in the major rule books) you don't have a player on the bench, so the courtesy runner rule becomes moot (along with several other pages of rules pertaining to line-ups or substitutions). It's the classic case of someone inventing a local rule that has unintended consequences in how it affects other rules.

You can read your rule book until the cows come home and it isn't going to help because this stuff isn't in the rule book!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
Last batted out or last recorded out? Have not perused the rulebooks lately but I thought it was last recorded out for courtesy runner (or someone not in game) and last batted out for a tiebreaker.
Actually, rules specify it is the player scheduled to bat last that half inning. This avoids confusion over who made the out and if there was a defensive substitution.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse