Kent State Lawsuit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Innocent until proven otherwise. I firmly believe that we as a society have to proceed along that path, period. I don't know if the girl is telling the truth or embellishing for a paycheck, and I don't care.

Linder didn't report like she was required to, that part seems very clear. That's not an example I want set for my DD or my adopted DD's in my rec league.

Sep 29, 2014
Wow this is going to be a wait until you hear the rest of the story things. Initially things don't look very good and at the very least the coach failed to follow the guidelines.

We never know how we would react in these kind of situations so it is always best not to judge; but it just seems like so many things went wrong on so many levels.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Yes, but...

One of the things I considered when DS was college hunting -- we met with the rowing coach of his first-choice school. The BIG question in my mind was, "is this a man I can trust with my kid, to be a good leader, a good role model, and to watch over him if there is trouble". I got that impression from meeting him. He had coached one of DS' high school coach, and he had been a teammate with another one of DS' high school coaches. I really felt like I could trust him.

OTOH, one of my cousins, born and raised in Oklahoma, spent a year as a red shirt at a well known Big 8 school. Not to mention the team, we'll call them the Laters. Won't mention the coach's name, but the initials were BS. Coach BS later went to coach an NFL team, we'll just call them the Cattle handlers. To make a long story short, Coach BS was absolutely the worst role model possible.

The fact is, because of the possibility of sexual assault, parents have to be more careful with their daughters than their sons. Maybe not politically correct to say, but that's the way things have been as long as there have been humans. In that respect, the entire Kent State program seems to have very badly dropped the ball.

I don't know how I would react if doing my job and protecting my son were in conflict. However, had the Kent State coach done her job, the repercussions would probably not have been nearly as bad. And the other allegations, such as retaliation, etc., make this sound like a program that should be completely gutted from the coaching standpoint.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
OTOH, one of my cousins, born and raised in Oklahoma, spent a year as a red shirt at a well known Big 8 school. Not to mention the team, we'll call them the Laters. Won't mention the coach's name, but the initials were BS. Coach BS later went to coach an NFL team, we'll just call them the Cattle handlers. To make a long story short, Coach BS was absolutely the worst role model possible.

Totally off topic, but I chuckled at this.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Its a scary world. Ive told my daughter to go straight to the cops right after something happens, dont think about It just call the cops. Ive also taught her to fight like hell if possible. Yell scream claw his eyes out.

This story is wierd. The accused rapist told the victims boyfriend what happened? Thats pretty brazen.

If there is a conviction I hope they hang him.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Its a scary world. Ive told my daughter to go straight to the cops right after something happens, dont think about It just call the cops. Ive also taught her to fight like hell if possible. Yell scream claw his eyes out.

This story is wierd. The accused rapist told the victims boyfriend what happened? Thats pretty brazen.

If there is a conviction I hope they hang him.

I've heard of that sort of thing before. A close friend of mine told me a story many years ago. She was a Catholic HS student, a virgin. One time she dated a boy and he raped her. Then he went all over the place bragging about having sex with her.

Guys like that usually get away with it. Often are serial rapists. One study says they average about 6 victims each.
I understand the incredible anguish some girls go through, and they don't want to make it worse by speaking out. But then the scumbag will usually do the same again and again to others.

Are composite or aluminum bats better for conversations with these scum?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
It took until the part about going to the NFL to be able to identify the coach.

At the time my mother was hearing all these stories about Coach BS, who would always leave practice with his college age groupies, my mother had BS' son in a college class she taught. BS played football for the Piggies, along with teammates JJ and JJ. BS' son played for the Piggies in college as well.

So it would really be weird for my mother to hear stories about BS, then see his son in class the next day.

Jun 12, 2015
Rape is such a horrible crime. When someone gets mugged or robbed, nobody analyzes their clothing choices, or tries to come up with other ways the victim is to blame. Rape victims are put on trial themselves. It's like society thinks men can't control themselves and so she must have done something to invite the assault. Of course many (most?) men never rape anybody so that is not remotely true. With all the shame (and shaming) that's wrapped up in it it's no wonder it's so underreported. I know all of us with daughters must feel the same way about this. The statistics seem to point to the fact that many of our daughters will have to deal with this at some point :( Let the pot smokers out of prison, and keep the rapists locked up forever, I say.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA