JV softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What would your DD do if she does not try out for the high school team? In our area, TB shuts down during HS season at 14U and above, so she may have a difficult time finding a TB team to play/practice with.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I don't know what this issue is, but when I was in High School it was pretty rare when the best baseball or softball players didn't come out for the teams. You might have a couple who chose to do track to help with another sport, but we always had 30-40 kids tryout of for JV and for Varsity. DD is going to go to a school with over 1800 kids and I've heard it's hard to find kids to play.

IMO, I would wonder about the coach and/or program?
I would think players would want to play for a coach or program they like regardless of the competitive level. I know my DD loves playing for a coach she likes.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I honestly think a lot of it has to do with sport specialization, as well as kids having jobs. Taking the latter out of the equation, 10-20 years ago you saw many more multi-sport athletes. These athletes could have success playing volleyball, basketball, and then softball because their athleticism could carry them to a good level of success. With specialization and travel/club sports, you have to be a pretty darn good player to make a softball roster at most high schools with 1,800 kids. I think that's a big factor.

Sport specialization has a lot to do with it as well as travel sports in search of that elusive scholarship. I look at the "top" organizations in my area rosters to see what schools the signed players are going to and think to myself they could have probably walked on received what they did in scholarship funds.

Nobody does anything for fun anymore and some on this site think that is a good thing. I played golf, basketball and baseball formally and darn near every other sport you could imagine on the streets or in backyards. Now you have to excel at everything to make mommy and daddy happy or specialize in a sport or get black balled by schools and/or tb teams etc. Essentially there is no sense in doing anything if it doesn't have a purpose.

My youngest DD will be in the same boat next year. She has pitched against some quality teams at the 18u A level as a 13 yo and done pretty well. Even got some attention at the college showcase we played in recently. There will be a few other pitchers on varsity that are a year or two ahead of her, age wise, not skill wise. Depends on what the coach is feeling at the moment.

My ultimate hope is that she works hard over the next year and few months to make it as the starting pitcher as freshman. Not because I want her to beat out the other girls (I mean I do but...) but because her sister will be a senior and it would be cool to have them represent the school together.

Aug 12, 2014
Nobody does anything for fun anymore and some on this site think that is a good thing. I played golf, basketball and baseball formally and darn near every other sport you could imagine on the streets or in backyards. Now you have to excel at everything to make mommy and daddy happy or specialize in a sport or get black balled by schools and/or tb teams etc. Essentially there is no sense in doing anything if it doesn't have a purpose.

Right. When did playing a sport because it's fun stop being a good enough reason to play?

To CoogansBluff, you said your DD doesn't think it will be fun. That's her answer right there. She should do something else that she thinks will be fun.

Feb 7, 2013
Sport specialization has a lot to do with it as well as travel sports in search of that elusive scholarship. I look at the "top" organizations in my area rosters to see what schools the signed players are going to and think to myself they could have probably walked on received what they did in scholarship funds.

I still think colleges look at multi-sport athletes. DD attended a UCLA softball camp and at orientation Coach Inouye-Perez stated that she is looking for well-rounded athletes and she went around the room and asked the 25 camp instructors (who were all current or former college softball players) how many sports did they play in high school). 90% of the players played at least two sports and several played 3 or more sports.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I still think colleges look at multi-sport athletes. DD attended a UCLA softball camp and at orientation Coach Inouye-Perez stated that she is looking for well-rounded athletes and she went around the room and asked the 25 camp instructors (who were all current or former college softball players) how many sports did they play in high school). 90% of the players played at least two sports and several played 3 or more sports.

Of course they look at multi-sport athletes. Just as they do look at one sport athletes. But lets keep this in perspective, with respect to selection criteria it is a nice to have, not a must have. All things equal being a multi-sport athlete may give you an edge over your competition for a roster spot. Elite level athletes often play multiple sports because they are elite level athletes and that is what they do. They are not elite level athletes because they play multiple sports.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Well, I thought my daughter had put this one to bed. She had decided to play this spring, JV or varsity, come what may.

Then, she just got her travel-ball schedule, which calls for some 22 tournaments, including 6 during high school season, and several trips out of state. She knew that was coming, but seeing it on paper, it really sunk in. This is the first time she's played full-bore showcase, and that's her focus now - to get recruited. She now is concerned of burnout if she plays that and high school ball. If she makes varsity, she feels it will be worth it to practice with older, better players. If it's JV, she's worried it will not help her game, and she'll get burned out from playing so much.

The decision of whether to try out for high school ball has her very stressed.

Here is a recap of the situation --

-She loves being on a school team. Got a taste of it in middle school, buys into the 'representing your school' thing, was very motivated to try to make varsity as a freshman this spring, wants to play college ball for many of the same reasons. She does not have the stereotypical bad attitude about HS sports that some year-round athletes have.
-She goes to a school with 30+ travel softball players, and while she's likely the best freshman, and arguably one of the best 9 players in the school, her chances of making varsity are maybe 50/50 at best.
-The JV season is a grind of 18 games, 14 of which will be gross mismatches. There might even be some rec pitchers in the circle.
-She will not be attending this high school next year because of a new school opening, so playing JV will not help her get on varsity next season.
-She's not comfortable going to tryouts with the idea that ''I'll play if I make varsity, but if I don't, I will politely decline.''
-She doesn't think she's too good for JV. She just thinks she could have more fun and benefit doing something else, even if it's another sport or another activity altogether.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
In our State you can't play travel ball during the high school season. Playing or even practicing with any team other than the high school team is prohibited.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In IL this rule changed a couple years ago but I do not know how a player would have the time to play HS and TB at the same time.

She is at a tough age where some of her teammates are probably still in MS so they can play in tourneys, some in HS that will not. Do you shut down all the 13YOs for the 14YOs playing HS?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26