just wondering

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
When choosing a bat what are the advantages with going with a bat that is 2 or 3 in longer and having the same weight. Is it just for the larger sweet spot.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not a math person but it is my understanding an inch in length is a little bit more then an ounce in weight.

For sure though a 32" bat that weighs 20 oz. is going to be harder to get around then a 30" bat that weighs the same.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Bleacher Coach, I'm assuming you're talking about, say, a 32/20 versus a 30/20. In that case, no worthwhile advantage. In fact, I'd say for most hitters it would be a detriment. I don't believe you'd gain enough sweet spot to make it worth the effort. And then you'd have a bat that's a bit out of balance in terms of weight to length.

I suppose if you used the longer bat you could stand off the plate a little more, but I still think you'd be sacrificing some ability to deliver the bat effectively into the hitting zone. It would make the bat more difficult to control and manage.

In selecting a bat, I've always believed you select the proper length first. So if 32 inches is the proper length, you'd go with 22 ounces for the default weight unless there was some reason to change it. And for all but the youngest players, I would go with slightly heavier rather than any lighter than a -10. Force = mass x acceleration. Go with the heaviest bat you can swing without losing acceleration, at proper length for your height.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
is there a way to tell what is the right length for a child
The best way is to find a place that will let you demo several models in different lengths and weights and find the one she likes the best.

Alternatively if there are different bats on the team that teammates will let her try in practice is a good way to do it to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp