Joe Madden's view on Travel Baseball vs the multi sport athlete.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I can't see any of my former players ever being the type to sit in a lab and design and build a solar powered flying car. They were more the type to create and run the company that employed the folks that designed and built the solar powered flying car. I will take much more pride in what my DD accomplishes in the board room over what she will on the softball field.

My kid's more the type to sit in a lab and design. She hasn't gone out for any HS sport other than softball, but she has joined the Scholar bowl and Robotics teams--and loved them. It takes all kinds. It's my hope that the intangibles learned in playing softball will help all our daughters excel in their lives and future careers!

Oct 2, 2012
Aside from the physical part of being a single or multi sport athlete is the mental side. I know a couple of girls who played softball from age 6-18 had college opportunities and didn't go on because they were sick to death of softball. Having another sport has to break the monotony of a singe sport. You can love something and still lose interest. Variety is the spice of life isn't it?

Oct 22, 2009
My DD is verballed and I still think I would have been better off with the 529 plan! I figure my "break even point" will be @ her junior year of college.

This is where my family was an exception to the rule. We were extremely low income, and very very little money came out of our personal accounts for softball. We would have never been able to afford her education and would hate her being saddled with that loan.

She would even joke around when she practiced that practicing was how she was paying for her education.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have to admit that my attitude concerning this topic is beginning to change. At a younger age, my DD played three sports. She is currently down to two, but is considering moving to only one (softball). She is a pitcher, so that is an important part of her decision. Here is the scenario.

Varsity Basketball - the season essentially starts in July and ends in March. This will include "optional" practices (in quotes because everyone knows they are actually mandatory but they are not allowed to call them that), scrimmages, weight lifting, regular season games, playoffs, etc. So essentially 9 months.

Varsity Softball - the season essentially starts in January and ends in early October. Same process as above but includes travel ball in addition to high school. Again, roughly 9 months.

What we are rapidly learning is the period from September until March is absolutely crazy. Virtually every day includes either basketball, softball, or both. And that does not take into consideration the time she spends on homework. To be honest, my DD is a "grades first, sports second" type of athlete. She did an excellent job managing her time last year in order to make this work out, but she is finding it more difficult this year. Much of this is due to the extra time needed to focus on pitching. What we are trying to decide as a family (with DD having a very large part of this decision - who am I kidding, it is HER decision). If she intends to continue playing two sports, it may be necessary for her to give up pitching and just focus on other positions. But if she really wants to pursue pitching, she may need to give up basketball. I'm pretty confident she will fight and claw her way through this school year like she did last, but I think this may be the last year for that.

Just curious if anyone else feels this way concerning pitchers? Even if you are pro multi-sport, should pitchers view this differently? Do a higher percentage of pitchers specialize?

Edit: Just to add. She has also mentioned that she would like to join other clubs at school (Spanish Club) among others, but doesn't feel she is capable of participating in those clubs when she is doing sports year round. Those other interests will also play a big part of her ultimate decision.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
This is a timely discussion. DD is on a travel team for the first time this year, so we are well aware that her spring/summer is pretty well spoken for. She has done rec/church-league basketball for years. Last spring, we managed to juggle rec softball, All-Star softball, and AAU basketball (travel). She couldn't continue with the basketball team during the summer b/c of All-Star softball. The AAU season runs from Feb.-May.

I just got an email from her basketball coach today indicating that they're putting together a Winter AAU team to compete from Nov.-Jan. I think we'll be able to manage that, but I can't see any way for her to do AAU spring ball again this year.

It's too bad, because she really enjoys basketball. I hate that she won't be able to continue playing at a higher level in both sports, but I just don't see how it's possible. If others have succeeded at that, I'd love to hear how they managed it. She's only 12; I wish she didn't already have to choose.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Wait til high school starts. DD is already 6 weeks in and is about to have a nervous breakdown. AP course load, theater arts, basketball class, hitting/catching lessons on Wed, and TB practices(Tues/Wed/Sun unless they are playing in showcases) I welcome spring High School softball...did I just say that out loud?

Sep 11, 2015
Jennie Finch was a 3-sport varsity athlete in high school and captain of all 3 teams. It's possible.

I have a 12 year old on 2 comp teams (1 soccer and 1 softball). We do not...intentionally.....put her on the highest level teams because the commitment is too long (longer than an MLB season). She just wants to play any softball during softball season. She also likes to be able to have the freedom to try different positions on a mid-level comp team (I coach) whereas she would be stuck to 1-2 positions and that's it if she played in other organizations. For soccer, we start in August, play 4 tournaments, play in a comp league and have a bunch of friendlies and go to about December/early January. Softball starts in about mid-Jan and goes to about mid-July.

It can work but decisions need to be made about the type of team she wants to join (or that we want her to join) so that she can continue doing what she loves to do.....play all the sports she can. She also plays afterschool volleyball and basketball for her school.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Jennie Finch was a 3-sport varsity athlete in high school and captain of all 3 teams. It's possible..

DD is a pitcher, but that is about where I would end the comparison's with Jennie Finch. I love her dearly, but she is simply not on the same level as Finch. And I guess that is kind of my point. I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, but I'm questioning whether it is in the best interest of the average pitcher to play multiple sports.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have to admit that my attitude concerning this topic is beginning to change. At a younger age, my DD played three sports. She is currently down to two, but is considering moving to only one (softball). She is a pitcher, so that is an important part of her decision. Here is the scenario.

Varsity Basketball - the season essentially starts in July and ends in March. This will include "optional" practices (in quotes because everyone knows they are actually mandatory but they are not allowed to call them that), scrimmages, weight lifting, regular season games, playoffs, etc. So essentially 9 months.

Varsity Softball - the season essentially starts in January and ends in early October. Same process as above but includes travel ball in addition to high school. Again, roughly 9 months.

What we are rapidly learning is the period from September until March is absolutely crazy. Virtually every day includes either basketball, softball, or both. And that does not take into consideration the time she spends on homework. To be honest, my DD is a "grades first, sports second" type of athlete. She did an excellent job managing her time last year in order to make this work out, but she is finding it more difficult this year. Much of this is due to the extra time needed to focus on pitching. What we are trying to decide as a family (with DD having a very large part of this decision - who am I kidding, it is HER decision). If she intends to continue playing two sports, it may be necessary for her to give up pitching and just focus on other positions. But if she really wants to pursue pitching, she may need to give up basketball. I'm pretty confident she will fight and claw her way through this school year like she did last, but I think this may be the last year for that.

Just curious if anyone else feels this way concerning pitchers? Even if you are pro multi-sport, should pitchers view this differently? Do a higher percentage of pitchers specialize?

Edit: Just to add. She has also mentioned that she would like to join other clubs at school (Spanish Club) among others, but doesn't feel she is capable of participating in those clubs when she is doing sports year round. Those other interests will also play a big part of her ultimate decision.
It's doable my dd pitched all through HS played 3 varsity sports, marching band,concert band, NHS, student government and pulled down top grades. It took a lot of coaches and a band director who were all willing to work with her. Is it for everyone? Nope but it was what my dd wanted and she made it happen. What your dd wants and is willing to make happen. She doesn't have to give up pitching. But if she wants to, let it happen.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Jennie Finch was a 3-sport varsity athlete in high school and captain of all 3 teams....

Yes, she did! Almost 20 years ago before kids in HS today were born. In this century the competition is stronger and specialization is becoming the norm. What was once considered balanced is now viewed by some as over-committed and unfocused.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan