Jenna Abbott

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Every rule set I am familiar with except NCAA requires the pitcher to start with the shoulders in line with 1st and 3rd base. The pitching rules in college are essentially the same as every other rule set, but for whatever reason they left out the portion I mentioned. From what I read, Auburn submitted video of her using that motion to the rules interpreter to make sure it was legal before she used it in a game.

That said does it not call the motion advocated by Bill Hillhouse into question? The shoulders certainly are not aligned with 1st and 3rd at separation of the hands.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Have no idea what motion Bill Hillhouse advocates. Never read anything about his pitching methods.

Here is the ASA wording. 6A-1-C Both feet must be on the ground within the 24" length of the pitchers plate. The shoulders shall be in line with 1st and 3rd bases.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
As far as this pitcher.... Unorthodox? Yes. Does it work for her? Looks like it. As long as it isn't illegal somehow, let her have at it.

DD uses a variation that mimics the Hillhouse method and the Traina twist she is comfortable with. I consider her pre-motion minimal and simple. It's just side to side twist without the traditional up and down pre motion. After seeing Java's notes on a rock, she adapted it to work in a little rock when she twists to the left (RHP). It works for her. I have watched poor kids that go forward, back, up, down, up and I get exhausted just watching them. Then again, if it works for them.....

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As far as this pitcher.... Unorthodox? Yes. Does it work for her? Looks like it. As long as it isn't illegal somehow, let her have at it.

DD uses a variation that mimics the Hillhouse method and the Traina twist she is comfortable with. I consider her pre-motion minimal and simple. It's just side to side twist without the traditional up and down pre motion. After seeing Java's notes on a rock, she adapted it to work in a little rock when she twists to the left (RHP). It works for her. I seen poor kids that go forward, back, up, down, up and I get exhausted just watching them. Then again, if it works for them.....

I can't see how you would execute the cradle motion advocated by Hillhouse and have your shoulders aligned with 1st and 3rd at separation of the hands. When I look at this on his DVD his shoulders have already started to open and are close to 45 degrees at separation.

I am a little older and not as flexible as I used to be. But if I have my feet square toward home and place my glove on my throwing hip there is no way my shoulders can remain aligned with 1st and 3rd.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I can't see how you would execute the cradle motion advocated by Hillhouse and have your shoulders aligned with 1st and 3rd at separation of the hands. When I look at this on his DVD his shoulders have already started to open and are close to 45 degrees at separation.

I am a little older and not as flexible as I used to be. But if I have my feet square toward home and place my glove on my throwing hip there is no way my shoulders can remain aligned with 1st and 3rd.

If you are referring to my DD, I said she mimics. Guess I should have said partially mimics. She begins with shoulders square. I'm pretty sure you could start with shoulders square and still have the glove/ball on the right hip too with a RHP.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you are referring to my DD, I said she mimics. Guess I should have said partially mimics. She begins with shoulders square. I'm pretty sure you could start with shoulders square and still have the glove/ball on the right hip too with a RHP.

Not referring to your daughter and not knocking the motion. Just in light of the rule find it hard to see how it can be legally executed. Is this yet another example how the application of the pitching rules in most associations is a farce? Try it yourself. Stand square and place your left hand on the outside of your right hip.

Jan 11, 2015
Need to do away with most of the rules any way since they dont get inforced.2 rules both feet on the rubber and hands together then seperation when starting so you know the pitch is coming. Oh and a 3rd in side the 24" rule.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is not particularly unusual. Here is Lisa Fernandez doing the same motion. Lisa is doing it as a drill, but I could see a kid doing this if she was struggling with the full motion.

[video]https://youtu.be/z4WQsaiPLE0[/video]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma