Jeesh, does anyone have anything good to share about HS softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
OMG talk about timing!!!! Just got this email from NCSA, article is "things that can make or break recruiting". The very first, numoro uno point:
A bad recommendation from your high school coach

Think of the amount of time you spend with your high school team.

This isn’t just time on the practice field or during a game. This is time in the weight room, the film room, on the bus, around the locker room.

In any given stretch of the year, you spend more time with your high school coach than with your family. They see how you study, how you communicate with others, how you dress, what your table manners are. If there is anything coming in the way of a positive, productive relationship with your high school coach at this time, fix it. Call them today or set up a meeting for tomorrow.

No matter what the issue(s) you or your parents may have with your high school coach, their recommendation could make or break your future.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've said this many times on here, not going to bore y'all again with the details.................but. The key to a successful HS group/team..........is the years of developing those players TOGETHER...........BEFORE you even get close to the high school years.

Not sure about your state, but the same little town schools ( from the lowest to highest classification ) traditionally make or win the state playoffs. It's because they started in rec together, played travel together, played HS...............together.

GD is correct it needs to start before high school in your local rec and travel teams ....my DD has fun playing but our coach really doesn't coach out kids ...it more like the kids make the coach look good but we are having a great year so far 16-0 and just won our Easter tournament today my DD was tourney MVP so I can't complain

Nov 29, 2009
is the years of developing those players TOGETHER...........BEFORE you even get close to the high school years.

Have to disagree with you there. On my DD's HS team only 3 of the starting kids played for the same program. The younger one was one of them and her catcher for 3 years was another one. Everyone else played for different travel programs for a long time before HS. It's about being taught how to play the game correctly at a high level prior to HS. Those girls came together at the start of the HS season, applied what they knew about the game already under the direction of a HS coach with the same mindset, made adjustments, played, won and then went back to their travel teams when the HS season was over.

The coach didn't try to change the type of players they were. She managed them to their strengths to put a really strong team on the field.

Maybe your area is different. But in the burbs where I'm at a HS with an enrollment near 4,000 kids is not uncommon at all. When my DD's played HS they would have 120 - 140 kids show up at tryouts for the three teams. First day cuts were usually about 50% of them.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Because I've never really heard anything positive about a HS program. Has anyone's DD EVER enjoyed it?

Last year...NO! This year...DD's having a blast! Here's the positives for our HS team. The coaches care. I'm not saying they know everything, or even much at all, but they truly are in it for the players and school pride. The V and JV teams consists of girls that first started playing rec ball together at the earliest ages and continued to play on the same teams or against each others' teams as they moved on to TB. Everyone seems to get along extremely well with each other and it seems to be more of a family environment among all of the players versus what I have seen traditionally being a Varsity versus JV or upperclassmen v underclassmen mentality. It doesn't seem to matter to them since you'd find various players from both teams hanging out and laughing together. Personally, I think both teams will go extremely far if they hold onto this ideal situation. Upperclassman are going out of their way to help the underclassman players and TB players are helping to develop the skillsets of the rec ballers. No one seems to think they're better than anyone else and no one seems to take offense at the offer of help to improve. I'm not saying it's all unicorns and rainbows but it's a far cry over last years animosity and divisiveness instigated mostly by the 8 Seniors that graduated.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
My DD loves playing high school ball. During travel she pitches, plays mostly RF, and occasionally gets some time on 1st. In school ball she pitches and plays as a utility player getting time on 3rd, SS, 2nd, and OF so she gets to play positions she normally would not play. Her school has a very strong program, lots of parental support and booster club support. Last year as a 7th grader the varsity HC pulled her up for a varsity scrimmage, took her to a tournament where she got her first 5 varsity innings on the mound, and was pulled up for playoffs….didn't play, but was a great experience for her. I would say the varsity HC is good teacher of the game and that make a big difference.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd had a blast in HS. 4 year starter and played every game. She played with some talented young ladies that she grew up with in our small community. She even had a tremendous coach her senior year! LOL! (Other coach 1st 3 years was really really great.)

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
DD's freshmen year was ok. The two coaches were not getting along. The AC moved on to a HC job at another school. DD's sophomore year, without the tension between coaches, was great. The team chemistry was better. HC was relaxed. The girls liked each other. Of course, that was varsity. The JV almost always has problems.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Have to disagree with you there. On my DD's HS team only 3 of the starting kids played for the same program. The younger one was one of them and her catcher for 3 years was another one. Everyone else played for different travel programs for a long time before HS. It's about being taught how to play the game correctly at a high level prior to HS. Those girls came together at the start of the HS season, applied what they knew about the game already under the direction of a HS coach with the same mindset, made adjustments, played, won and then went back to their travel teams when the HS season was over.

The coach didn't try to change the type of players they were. She managed them to their strengths to put a really strong team on the field.

Maybe your area is different. But in the burbs where I'm at a HS with an enrollment near 4,000 kids is not uncommon at all. When my DD's played HS they would have 120 - 140 kids show up at tryouts for the three teams. First day cuts were usually about 50% of them.

Good gravy, 4000 kids in one HS? That's almost the entire population of our town......lol. I think the largest school in the state is just over 2000 students.

On one hand, your HS roster was like ours, full of travel experienced girls. The only difference was yours were spread out over multiple teams, where ours was a majority on a single team.

Always curious............. When we go to "state", each of those school teams have a roster of 80-90% from one single travel team. It's pretty much like playing them in the summer ( TB ), only now it's spring and we all have school jerseys on. Anyone from the south will tell you we take HS sports very serious, almost too serious. Where college has "feeder" TB teams, many HS have TB feeder teams. ( and that's across all sports )

What's the composition of your state playoff teams? More teams with players from multiple competitive TB's, or more teams who use a single feeder type? I'm sure there are pros/cons from either way.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD's high school team is made up of talented, nice girls with an awesome group of coaches! Head coach and all the assistants (total of 5 coaches) all share passion, knowledge and the drive to win without all of the politics. Best players at the best positions, pure and simple. And the added bonus of being coaches that the players like, look up to and want to please. It great to have my DD involved with these coaches and team!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207