It's That Time of Year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
It's that time of year again... The days are warmer, outside practices are ramping up, tournaments are once again populating the calendar and well meaning coaches, assistant coaches and parents may be encouraging their team's catchers to adopt a very unsafe practice... Take your mask off!
Whether it's a pop foul, a pop up down the line or as soon as the pitch is hit and put into play, many adults still think it's easier to to see the ball, tag at home or catch the ball without the mask. Not realizing the danger they are asking their catcher to place themselves in.

[video=youtube_share;-xgBGpICS48]http://youtu.be/-xgBGpICS48[/video]

There is virtually no reason for a catcher to take their mask off while the ball is in play. Modern masks are designed for better visibilty. Coaches at the Blu Chip Exposure Camp instruct catchers to leave their masks on... I have watched catchers trip over their masks, umpires hit by thrown masks, balls thrown into the plate deflect off the mask to ruin a play and runs score. Worst of all I watched an 11 year old at Hidden Valley get knocked out after she took her mask off for a tag play at home several years ago. I have seen catchers suffer concussions after taking a thrown ball to the temple while standing at home during practices. (The catchers attention was diverted by something/someone else)

I have watched my own daughter get her mask knocked off by a high elbow when a runner slid into home. She had just gotten her braces. Thankfully the mask saved her from Kendra's awful experience.

603159_534909823195672_781740177_n.jpg

For examples of how pro players, college players and tournament players can make the plays with their masks on, check out KEEP YOUR MASK ON!!!

Please don't ask your catcher to take their mask off while the ball is in play. The risk of serious injury is too great. Encourage your catcher to practice all their skills with their mask on. Encourage them to wear their mask at practice... even when covering home and shagging throws for infield practice. They can make the plays. But just like every other skill, they must practice their skills with their masks on.

I only coach catchers.... And I have seen too many get hurt. Please keep your catcher safe to enjoy this time of year. Tell them NOT to take their mask off...

-Chaz Wood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie