Is this obstruction on SS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
What I think he is saying is once the ball is caught all the fielders are subjected to obstruction.

So somehow even though the SS did everything perfectly she was somehow supposed to disappear from the field once the P caught the ball.

Common sense no but he clarified the rule.

Jun 22, 2008
This is the other issue where applying common sense bites you in the butt...again which is why I might say something but not make a big deal about it the outcome of this play with or without the OBS is an out at first.
Now if the P throws to 1B for the force then 1B throws back to 3B and tags the runner the outcome of the play would be different but again I'm still finding it hard to complain much because the only reason she is in the base path is because she is doing the right softball play which is going hard for a ball up the middle to make an attempt to field the ball.
[MENTION=426]Comp[/MENTION] still not sure about the clarification on what the intent behind the "except the pitcher" phase in the rule if not for this scenario

Im not sure where you are getting the part about "past the pitcher". The only rule I can think of off the top of my head with this statement is a runner hit by a batted ball which has absolutely nothing to do with this play. I can only say so many times, A DEFENSIVE PLAYER NOT IN POSSESSION OF THE BALL AND NOT IN THE ACT OF FIELDING A BATTED BALL CANNOT IMPEDE A RUNNER. Yes, the SS may be doing what you feel is correct, but since she was not actually the player that fielded the ball she cannot impede the progress of the runner. It is obstruction and the runner cannot be put out between the 2 bases where obstructed.

Sep 29, 2014
sorry for confusion on the past the pitcher rule now see that is completely irrelevant... so now we are simply back to you are either fielding the ball or not and in this case I would clearly label the P as the "protected" player and the SS in this case guilty of OBS and the runner awarded 3B no other way to really call it given the rule.

Thank for clearing everything up [MENTION=426]Comp[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2016]BretMan[/MENTION]

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thank you for posting this video.
To me it's obstruction all day long- but what I think doesn't matter-:D if the ball was deflected off the pitcher to be fielded by F4, that was almost exactly what I was talking about in another thread. (The difference being that the runner wasn't forced in our situation.) Our runner was called out for interfering with a SS who had no play on the ball.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut